Author Topic: Dunlop rubber trials saddle,greeves scottish,HELP  (Read 8760 times)

Offline steve

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dunlop rubber trials saddle,greeves scottish,HELP
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:42:24 AM »
Hi, just bought a dunlop rubber trials saddle from sammy miller for my greeves scottish but havn'e got a clue how to fit it..the instructions were rubbish!! Anyone fitted one before or got any tips as to how to do it? Thanks, steve.

Offline 250greeves

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dunlop rubber trials saddle,greeves scottish,HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:03:02 PM »
I have fitted one of these to my Greeves Scottish, also replaced the rubber cover when the original one perished. What is it that you need to know - is it how to assemble the cover to the frame and nose bracket or how to fit it to the bike itself?

Regards,

T

Offline steve

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
Hi, thanks for the reply.. i have pierced the rubber and fitted the rear frame and nose cone, bot not sure which way round the wire frame goes?? The instructions are rubbish so i have no idea!! Thanks, steve.

Offline 250greeves

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:10:08 AM »
Steve, I've attached a photo showing how mine is fitted up. If there's anything else, let me know.

Until I looked at it I didn't realise the springs were so rusty!

T

Offline 250greeves

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:13:10 AM »
............. OK. So the photo file was too big!! Hope this helps anyway.

T

Offline steve

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 11:34:04 AM »
Thanks for that..it all makes sense now!! What size springs have you gone for? If you have pictures of your bike which i could have a quick look at, that would be great. Im doing a complete restoration on mine as the bike was in bits when i had it, and i still havent got round to getting a proper manual for it..stupid i know! Just a few areas i'm unsure of, things like the footrest assembly and front mudguard stay? Thanks again for the help, steve.

Offline 250greeves

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 12:49:49 PM »
I'll dig out some info on the springs and post it for you. I have a copy of the spring drawing somewhere. I'll reduce a full bike photo as well.
It's worth signing up with the GRA (Greeves Riders Association) if you haven't already done so. They have a register of frame numbers making dating and original registration retention quite straight forward.
They can also supply copies of most manufacturing drawings of parts for your machine, especially the fabricated bits like the front mudguard stay and footrest assembly.
Some parts e.g. the mudguard stays are manufactured and supplied by various GRA members. My two Scottish's have mudguards provided by them. It makes them a comparatively easy machine to restore.
What year is your machine? Mine are 1958 and 1959. There were changes every year as you would expect in competition machines.

Regards,

T

Offline steve

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
Yeah, mines a 58 aswell but had been converted into a cafe racer at some point with a 6e! It took me ages to get a 9e for it and the footrest assembly. The brackets on the tank have been cut off along with the front piece where it comes flush with the frame, so i've had to re-make them. Have you got the right tank on your 58..the stove enamelled greeny blue colour? Thats my next job, but i might spray it with 2k instead. If you can't upload the pics on here, you could send it to my email address instead which is jay.mx@hotmail.com It would be great to see some pics because i've looked all over the internet and hardly found any of a 58 with the correct seat and tank! Thanks, steve.