Author Topic: Rebuilt Engine Start Up Advice Needed  (Read 4201 times)

Offline bgreene30

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Rebuilt Engine Start Up Advice Needed
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:46:36 AM »
Hello. I just finished restoring my 63 B40 and was wondering if there is a way to run the oil through the motor prior to startup? Is it like a car so if I put an old distributor shaft in a drill will it circulate the oil? I really don't want it to run dry at all.

HELP and any suggestions on first start up and break in are greatly appreciated.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilt Engine Start Up Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 09:33:06 AM »
Plug out and kick 'til you can kick no more (or until oil can be seen returning to the tank ;)).

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 10:19:57 AM »
I always use Graphogen on all the bearing surfaces during a rebuild, then there's no need to worry, as that protects the surfaces until the engine oil starts to circulate.

http://www.graphogen.co.uk/
L.A.B.

Offline OneManAndHisBike

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
People worry too much about starting a freshly rebuilt engine. Inevitably there will be some wear (a cold engine is where most of the wear really takes place, after all). The trick is not to let the engine labour at low revs. Far better to get the revs up to around 2000-2500rpm and get that oil splashing around. If the bike has been standing for a while, I'd take the top end off and would directly lubricate the valves. I'd probably squirt some oil down the bores too and would leave it for a couple of hours to drain past the rings before starting. Then just fire it up and accept the wear as part of the natural life of the engine. The next most important thing is to keep that engine in service, which means running it as often as possible and always letting it warm thoroughly. Just remember to keep the revs up a little, and then run in the bike carefully by using all the gears and varying the revs; never too high, and never too long at any fixed revolutions. Sorry if I'm telling you the obvious.