Author Topic: BSA Newbie  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Ginga

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
BSA Newbie
« on: December 05, 2005, 11:58:35 PM »
OK a complete novice and newbie here in need of some advice.
I've decided that the time has come to buy myself a British bike that is older than I am (so pre 1968), to contrast with my ZZR1100.

I fancy a BSA, so ladies and gentlemen - suggestions as to where I start. Should I just buy whatever takes my fancy, or are there certain models which look great, but are a pig to keep running? Parts like Hens teeth?

Are there any decent dealers in Surrey/ Middlesex area, who won't take advantage of me? Or am I better off at a classics fair / Autojumble?

I'm not after a show winning pristine paperweight, but a nice bike that I can ride every other week when its sunny and occasionally to work.

Wide question, I know, but I've got to start somewhere.

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Re: BSA Newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 04:29:59 PM »
Hi Ginga,
that is a question!  There are quite a few bikes out there to choose from.  Generally speaking parts are widely available for all post-war models, but the newer you look, the easier it will be to find bits.  So I don't think spares availability is really an issue.  Engine size is probably a good starting point.  I don't know of you are aware, but you wont find a BSA that will keep up with your ZZR.  Not quite. So I would recommend going for a larger engined bike - perhaps a 500 or 650?  What you think of this bike?
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/BSA%20Bikes/pages/BSA-Gold-Flash-55.htm
Nigel.

Offline Ginga

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: BSA Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 05:48:28 PM »
I've got to say that I think that that is a lovely looking bike.
I know that the older stuff isgoing to be hugely different from my current bike, but I also know that that is sort of the point.
I like the idea of a 500/650, but think that the bantams and the like, are just don't fill me with any passion. I think that I'm drawn to the asthetics of the thing and could easily be swayed into some sort of cafe racer conversion. Shallow - possibly, but could be great fun.