Author Topic: Starting Problem  (Read 6058 times)

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Starting Problem
« on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »
Hi there
I have just completed a restoration on a BSA A65 Star the bike is now ready for it's first MOT for about 30 years and I went into the garage to start it and give final check over before booking it in. Now the bike has been ready since the back end of last  year  and I have been starting it on regular basis every few weeks without any problems until today.  Every time I tried to kick it over it kicked back now it has never done this before so I was quite surprised, eventually it did start and I ran it for a few minutes stopped it tried again but would not start no more kicking back. On checking the lights I noticed that the battery was run down done a check only showing 9.84 volts on a 12v battery so have put battery on charge, question is could a run down battery cause the kicking back. It has Pazon electronic ignition and a 12v system using twin 6v coils but as I have said before for the last few months it has started OK no problems until today. Any Ideas out there please.

Offline Welsh Wizard

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:25 PM »
Not sure if its any help, with my A65 unless battery is in good condition and charge I have trouble getting it run or start without getting kickbacks or just getting a good spark. try with a well charged battery and see it helps, if not check to make sure the timing has not slipped.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:46:35 PM »
I'd give the battery a good charge before you start fannying around with anything else. EI is notorious for needing a good 12V to work properly (and yes I know Boyers are the worst for this but they're all susceptible to it..)

Offline raptorkev

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:42:57 PM »
when the voltage drops below a certain level the pazon ignition will go to fully advanced hence kicking back and difficult starting recharge battery and try again

Offline bikerbob

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
 Thanks for the replies thankyou raptorkev for your explanation I fitted a fully charged battery on this morning and bike started first kick ticking over perfectly will remember for the future . Thanks once again.

Offline V4

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »
I have a Pertronix electronic ignition on a 73 Volvo running on the original Bosch distributor off a 1.5 ohm coil.  Well it isn't really fully electronic ignition but Pertronix call it electronic.  It is a module (hall sensor) replacing the ignition point system.  Works well though but it does require a fully charged 12 volt battery.  Anything less than 12.75 volts and starting from cold becomes slow and it may not even start at all.