Author Topic: BSA Bantam D7 cutting out and failing to start...  (Read 8412 times)

Offline Dave Of Six

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
BSA Bantam D7 cutting out and failing to start...
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:51:35 PM »
Hi. I need some help...

I am relatively new to British Bikes and lucky enough to own a D7 Bantam Super '65. It starts 1st time but after about 10-15 miles it starts to cut out when i'm in top gear. It is then impossible to start and spits out petrol. If left for 10-20 minutes it will start again. Could it be the float sticking and flooding the engine? Could it be dirt in the carburetta?

The throttle cable is loose and in need of sorting-out as there is about an inch give by the throttle. The previous owner had wedged the cable in to the housing by sticking gaffer tape on it. Now it comes loose. Could this have anything to do with the engine flooding?

The bike is now MOT'd but was last tested 2004..
Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave :(

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: BSA Bantam D7 cutting out and failing to start...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:19:34 PM »
Must be painful to ride with a throttle cable that loose, but I doubt it's your problem.
I'd be looking at ignition coil (in the flywheel mag) or capacitor/condensor breaking down, and my money would be on the capacitor.

Offline Dave Of Six

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »
Cheers.

Will have a look.

Offline Jim Griff

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:06:38 PM »
Dave,

had a look at the bantam it's the fuel filter from the tank to carb blocked with crud. It's now running fine and should go ok!

(I'm one of his mates)

jim ;)

Offline Dave Of Six

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Throttle cable wont snap back
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 08:59:27 PM »
After getting to the bottom of the engine problems i now need to sort my throttle cable. It has always been loose but now it wont snap back at all. I have adjusted it by the carburrettor but that does help. The cable hasnt broken.

Can this be saved or do i need a new cable?

Cheers

Offline Jim Griff

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:11:20 PM »
Dave,

it sounds like the outer cable is too long, so you can modify it yourself by shortening it.  Try cutting the outer cable carefully with a hacksaw, without damaging the inner cable, replace the  steel ferule and adjust until you achieve the return you require. If in doubt, give me a call towards the weekend and we'll have a look together.

Having discussed getting his bike running better earlier on with Dave, can anyone suggest a good electronic ignition kit suitable for the D7? Any problems found fitting one?

Offline Dave Of Six

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 09:50:29 PM »
The Carb on the Bantam is spitting petrol out. The spark plug has an oily residue on it as well. I'm thinking the mixture is too rich. I am leaking gear oil and there is smoke where the exhaust connects to the engine. I am goin to fix these this weekend and take off the carb to check the float. I am also going to get a new condenser.

anybody got any other suggestions?

D.