Author Topic: Bantam help  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Bantam Boy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Bantam help
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:10:34 PM »
Hi Guys,
I have just found this forum and this is my first post. I have a 1968 BSA Bantam D14/4 which I am restoring. I have all the bits I need (famous last words) and am about to start the rebuild. I need a set of 3 rings that are +030. I have been told that these are unavailable so I have bought a set of +040 and intend to grind the ends to make the gap. I was about to start doing this when I noticed that the rings that came off my piston are about twice the thickness of the new ones. If they are is it acceptable to double up? If not any suggestions as to where I can get the proper rings?
It may help to know that the engine has a George Todd head (central spark plug) and that the piston is flat topped and has 3 rings. The piston in the spare engine only has 2 rings and is domed. The engine also appears to be sporting an Alpha bottom end. The flywheels have stuffer plates riveted on and the conrod is shaped and streamlined. The conrod on the spare has the same shaped conrod and has Alpha etched into it. I was told when I bought the bike about 5 years ago that it was a quick motor but I can't confirm this as I have never had it running.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Apart from the Bantam I also have a 1974 Honda XL250 Motosport, which is running but is currently mothballed. On the road I have a 1999 Honda NX650 Dominator.

Keep safe
Mike
Spare time? What's that?

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
Re: Bantam help
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 11:10:17 PM »
What you must have is a tuned motor with special parts. The normal piston is a 2 ring type. I would think the 3 ring piston is undoubtly a performance part. I would get in touch with the Bantam Racing Club.
http://www.bsabantamracing.co.uk/
Also there is some infomation on George Todd on another page on this site.
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Racingpictures/pages/George-Todd.htm

Offline Bantam Boy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bantam help
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:35:10 PM »
Thanks for the info I shall look it up.

Mike
Spare time? What's that?