Author Topic: first bike  (Read 6803 times)

Offline thinlizzytsm

• Advanced Member
  • bsa and thinlizzy happy together
    • View Profile
    • Email
first bike
« on: November 05, 2005, 05:25:46 AM »
i need a some suggestions for my first bike
must be:
reliable
125cc
carry 2 people
possibly handlebar heaters

i know i want a starfire 250 but i need to learn on a 125
preferably japanese

thanks
bsa and thin lizzy happy together

Offline thinlizzytsm

• Advanced Member
  • bsa and thinlizzy happy together
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: first bike
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 05:29:44 AM »
also must be under £800

im not rich YET
only 16
bsa and thin lizzy happy together

Offline geoffv

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 04:55:46 PM »
Hi, if you can push your offer up another £300 to £1100, I have the perfect machine for you. It is a two-year old Baimo 'Renegade' with 5000km on the clock and is in perfect condition. It looks like a small Harley Davidson cruiser and was my first bike, purchased to learn and take my test. If you are interested, e-mail me on 'geoffv@tymar.tv' and I will send you some photos.

dant

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 11:24:10 PM »
My advice?

That cheap, I'd go for something like a Honda CG125. Cheap as chips, reliable, and you won't find a 125cc bike which will be much cop with a pillion. It will carry two people as well as anything for your cash, and you won't lose much when you sell it.

You can always fit handlebar heaters to any bike, but on a 125cc bike for under £1000, it'll probably kill the electrics......

if you're in the UK and 16, you won't be able to legally ride it until your 17th birthday. My advice, would be to wait until you're 17, then go and do your full restricted test.

You'll then be limited to 33bhp for 2 years, but that means you could get the Starfire 250 etc straight away, and save time and money sorting out a 125.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 11:24:46 PM by dant »

Offline fatboyty175

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 06:20:18 AM »
what about a honda cbr 125 or a xl125 varadero
thanks i hope iv helped

Offline fs1eweb

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 06:45:42 PM »
...thought about a Yamaha Fizzy? Classic mopeds that keep their value and have gears !!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 06:46:32 PM by fs1eweb »

Offline the_lomph

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:35:11 PM »
you should try a honda cb125, the bike i learned to ride on, and i carryed two people on it. it only cost $750(approx. 312.5 pounds) to buy with all the lights and gauges in working order. it hasn't ever broken down exept for a flat tyre(we decided to try it in the bush down south), and when someone put two stroke fuel into it.
they are a stable bike, easy to ride and reliable.

good luck on your test, god knows i'll need it

Offline sono

• Advanced Member
  • There's nothing like riding a Honda !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 09:13:29 AM »
Painfully learned suggestions:

1- NEVER BUY A MOTORCYCLE WITHOUT A COMPRESSION TEST ON ALL CYLINDERS !!!! Below 7 -8 bars, run away !

2- On a tight budget, remember that price and maintenance cost is in DIRECT proportion with the power and number of cylinders. For instance, twin cylinders are much cheaper to fix than four cylinders engines, which costs twice as much in parts and labour to keep in good shape. There is more exhaust pipes, valves, carburator, name it !

3- The minimum size for a beginner and LIGHT passenger is 250cc.  It is extremely dangerous to overload a motorcycle. Some 50cc scooters can accomodate a passenger but their speed is usually limited at 50 km/h too. If you want to ride faster, get at least a 250.

4- Double the speed, you need FOUR TIMES the distance to stop ... with a passenger it doubles again, so, get FRONT DISK BRAKES !

5- If a motorcycle is older than 15 years, remember that rubber parts and gaskets will wear off with TIME, sun and heat alone. Metal and electrical systems will corrode in damp or poor storage condition. Low KM bike does not mean good deal. Invisible internal corrosion or poor maintenance makes engine and electrical systems not economical to repair. It is not advisable to buy a motorcycle over 20 years old (parts are harder to find and prices are higher when rare )

6- Don't buy rare breeds, stay with the most popular models, so you can find recycled parts on Ebay or even locally at a fraction of new parts.

You say you prefer japanese... Up here in Canada, Honda is the least expensive brand for parts, Yamaha is close. Suzuki and Kawasaki are the least expensive to buy, but their parts (especially Kawasaki) are often outragiously expensive with little generic and third party available.

Listen to the compression test, not just to the look and sound of the engine !

As for handlebar heaters, get good gloves instead of risking to fry your electrical system with high priced gadgets.

Good luck !
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:46:59 AM by sono »