Author Topic: Battery Eliminators  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Eli_Slaminko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Battery Eliminators
« on: November 15, 2007, 09:27:26 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with battery eliminator (capacitor) gizmos on their bikes?  I'm looking at the Bat-Pac brand, specifically.  I tried one on my '75 Honda XL125, but it didn't work since the electrics on the XL had no voltage regulator.  The resistance from the battery was the only means to regulate the voltage.  When I put the capacitor in the system in place of the battery, I was getting full output from the alternator at all times, about 30 volts at idle if I remember correctly.  No good.
I'd like to do away with the battery on my '73 Honda CB350 twin to save weight, make room for some large pod-type air filters, and free up some storage space under the seat.  The CB has a voltage regulator, so it would seem that the Bat-Pac would work.  The bike's kickstart only, so I'm not worried about that.  
Has anyone tried one of these devices?  If so, how'd they work for you?  I know there are the people who will want to respond to this and say that "don't mess with it, the factory designed it that way for a reason", and I respect that opinion, I just strongly disagree in a general sense.  I think the factory more often that not designs their products as a compromise in cost, convenience, laws & regulations, convention, etcetera, making a less that optimal product.  Thanks a lot.