Author Topic: 1975 cb200t - Should I Buy?  (Read 5384 times)

Offline newrider

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
1975 cb200t - Should I Buy?
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:29:08 AM »
Hi all.

I've been looking at a 1975 cb200t with ~44,000 miles to purchase as my first bike. Extremely clean for it's age and seems to run steady after a carb rebuild.

I'm just interested in hearing what everyone knows about these bikes and what a fair price would be.

Thanks everyone.

Offline sprocket

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1975 cb200t - Should I Buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:35:40 PM »
Generaly a good reliable little bike.I had one for about 3yrs back in the 70's. As long as you keep a check on oil and battery levels should be no probs. When buying though, listen carefully for camchain rattle. A rattle may mean the cam chain just needs adjusting or it could need replacing which, unless you can do it yourself, could be costly.
Good luck with your purchase.

Offline newrider

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:08:08 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Seems to be in great condition, just not sure about the price.

Offline sprocket

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 01:10:34 AM »
Can't help much  with the price I'm afraid,depends really on the condition.mileage and whether or not it has service history, m.o.t. etc.
I would expect to pay £500 ish for a good one. Maybe up to a grand for a low mileage "mint"one.
Keep us posted,I'm interested to know how you get on.

Offline sono

• Advanced Member
  • There's nothing like riding a Honda !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »
I would advise you to get a compression test first. If compression is too low, you may have valve problems or your piston rings may need to be replaced.  You have a fairly high mileage bike. Let's say you have to offer a price considering you are likely to do some major work on the engine pretty soon.

Keep in mind that it is quite likely that you may have a hard time to find even common spare parts and make sure you get a Service Manual.

I found quite a few at http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/genuine-spares/

and quite a few on http://www.cmsnl.com too

If you can't find it there, I would say good luck on Ebay.

I drive a Honda CM400T 1980. It did look perfect like yours, but after 500km I lost compression on one cylinder because a valve oil seal was defective and piston rings on that site failed.  Rubber parts just don't last that long.  I had to get the engine valves, cylinder and piston rings restored to specs because I was fortunate enough to find all required spare parts.

I don't think it would be wise to assume you will be able to safely ride this 1975 motorcycle for a long time without spending a substantial amount of time and money on finding parts and labour.

My first bike was a 1971 CB 175... I loved it.

I would advise you to consider finding a Honda CM/CMX250: Lower mileage, very reliable, easier to find parts because they were made from 1980-1987.

Good luck