Author Topic: NSU Prima V  (Read 7803 times)

Offline nic123

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
NSU Prima V
« on: September 16, 2005, 10:40:42 PM »
Have just bought myself a 1958 NSU Prima V which at first glance seems to be in pretty good nick. She has 2 x 6v batteries (also has el-starter!) which have obviously been neglected where she stood in storage for 5 years and both the '+' poles are covered in acid. Any tips on how to best go about cleaning up the poles? I hear that warm water and a good scrubber are the way forward, but would like to double check with some of you certified experts out there... Thanks!

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: NSU Prima V
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 10:51:19 PM »
I would think that if the batteries are five+ years old they would certainly need replacing?
L.A.B.

Offline nic123

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 11:00:15 PM »
Thanks L.A.B!

Perhaps a good idea at the end of the day - the bike was totally done up 5 years ago (new batteries and all) and hasn't been driven since. She was stored with batteries disconnected in a nice warm storeroom. Acid levels looking good, but you recon I should change them anyway? Not worth charging them up and giving it a spin??
Whilst we're on the topic - Have changed the fuel, obviously, but anything else I should think about before cranking her up for the first time?

Thanks again. Regards, Nic

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
Well you could try them! But lead acid batteries need to be kept charged up (at least once a month) otherwise they start to sulphate which damages the plates internally especially if they are left for six months or more.
I believe baking soda was used for neutralising battery terminal corrosion in the old days?
L.A.B.

Offline nic123

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 12:21:19 AM »
Thanks again! I think I'll give the old bat's a last chance to perform... they either work or they don't! Will let you know how I get on...

Nic