Author Topic: Ducati RT 450  (Read 7477 times)

Offline Duck450

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Ducati RT 450
« on: February 10, 2006, 02:53:04 AM »
Hello all, newby here.  I am looking for some help..I am trying to restore a Ducati RT 450, but have run into a problem. Anyone know how to take the rear tire off?  The original rear swingarm is completly closed and I am not able to take the tire off.  On a newer bike, you slide the tire off the rear of the swing arm.  Well not in this case, it's closed.  I can't pry the swing arm open, but I guess you're not supposed to.  Can anyone please help.  Or is it as easy as having to cut it open. ???

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ducati RT 450
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 05:55:17 AM »
No need to cut anything open (how would you fit the new tyre (tire) anyway? First thing you need to do to change a tyre  is remove the wheel.
To do this on a motorcycle with a double sided arm (and most conventional motorcycles have this) is to remove the wheel spindle (or axle) from the centre of the wheel which generally has a large nut holding it in position on one side that needs to be loosened and removed, the spindle is then either pulled or knocked right through the wheel and the wheel assembly can then be removed, note the positions of any spacers and other parts such as the chain adjusters some types of swing arm allow removal of the wheel and spindle together after slackening the spindle nut if the adjuster abutments (if fitted?) are removed the assembly can be slid backwards out of the locating slots.

You may have to unhook the drive chain if the sprocket needs to be removed with the wheel although some types the sprocket and chain can remain in position, unfortunately I do not know anything about the RT450 and there are many variations between different motorcycle types. You may also have to disconnect the rear brake mechanism and torque stay?

I think it would be a good idea for you to get a workshop manual if you have not worked on this sort of bike before?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 08:34:02 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Duck450

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:37:36 AM »
To L.A.B, thank you very much and I appreciate your response.  I currently own a Honda RC-51 and have knowledge on how to remove current model motorcycle tires, but this Ducati has a rear hub.  The hub  has two threaded post coming out of the hub.  On current model motorcycles, like you mentioned, you can slide the tires out from the rear of the swing arm or you can take the axle off.  Not in this case.  The bolts don't come off and the swing arm tire mounting slots are closed.  There is not way to wiggle it free. It's like the rear tire of a bicycle, but with the bicycle, you slide the rim out from the rear.  Well where you slide the rim out on the Ducati is completly closed.  Ahhhrrrrgggg!!!!!!!!!! ???

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 02:51:02 AM »
Sorry that what I said wasn't of any use to you.

Perhaps someone here will be able to answer your question?:http://www.bevelheaven.com/~BB/phpBB2/index.php
L.A.B.

Offline Duck450

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 02:55:06 AM »
Thank you much L.A.B.. I will give them a try..

Thanks from San Diego, Ca.

Ohh by the way, I checked out Bevelheaven and it was a lot of help.  I haven't logged into it yet, but by reading the posts, several enthusiasts are rebuilding R/T 450's.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 03:21:06 AM by Duck450 »