Author Topic: making transistor ignition  (Read 14156 times)

Offline myljach

• Advanced Member
  • benelli 2502c
    • View Profile
making transistor ignition
« on: December 24, 2005, 07:13:07 AM »
Hi everyone! Is enybody makin a electronic ignition vith thiristor  or transistor, I making my one for my benelli 2502c (1976) and have some litle trouble. This Italian part vhose protected by factory vith plastic and unnamed electronics elements, but I still have open up it, making a  sheme, and i cant identify transystor (or thyristor), also have a 6 diods and 1 kapasity. Its simply electronic for two  stroke engine, and i have some material for making ignitions for cars. Is enibody have some electronic diagram, shematic or anything? If not, wen I solve the problem , I have to publish it. Thx for reading this :-D

Offline myljach

• Advanced Member
  • benelli 2502c
    • View Profile
Re: making transistor ignition
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 10:00:11 AM »
F I N A L Y, I made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Evil part of this thyristor ignition( centralina eletronicca) vhose copright protected by factory Benelli, covered in plastic, vith  protected unnamed elements. I made a viaring diagram, that includes thyristor300V, 5 diods N4007, one R=26 ohm, and two C=1 microF. IT works fine, just like the original one, and this engine, 231ccm3, with 32 horse powers driwe 155 at 7000 r/min.  I must thx myself... THX myljach!!!!!!

Offline Panzergranate

• Advanced Member
  • Owner and rider of some of the rarer JAWA / CZs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:14:08 AM »
Electronic ignition circuits come in two types, magneto excited and battery excited.

The magneto excited unit is the most common type found and is charged up and triggered by a magneto coil attached to the alternator or dynamo.

It is possible to fit any type of magneto excited ignition unit to any type of bike equiped with this type of ignition charging and triggering unit.

On some of the more advanced ignition units, such as the generic Nippon Denso unit for four strokes, there is an engine speed monitor that controls the automatic ignition advance retard unit. This can be disabled by not connecting one wire from the module for engines that do not require this facilty. There is also a wire out for an electronic tacometer (rev counter) provided.

The battery powered systems, usually aftermarket upgrade conversion systems for points contact ignition systems such as Vape, Pirana, etc.

Thes power off of the bike's battery electrical system and the bike won't start without a battery, unlike the magneto powered system.

These are usually triggered by a very small pulse trigger coil or a Hall Effect Transistor, a device that passes current suddenly on exposure to a very close proximity magnetic field.

Suzuki GTs used a magneto system trigger by Hall Effect Transistor.

I use Hungarian made magneto powered CDI units intended for JAWA Babetta mopeds. However the unit works well as a direct replacement for single cylinder engines. Twin cylinder engines would require a double spark lead unit or a pair of single units on seperate magnetoes and triggers.

The circuit for CDI units is very simple and there are the NPN Transistor type and the Thyristor type.

I've actually wired a model railway points solenoid kicker succesfully onto a Suzuki GT200 X5 to run the ignition.

If you want the design I could create one and post it up.

As an electronics design engineer, it is a basic simple common circuit to me.

I'm no Power Ranger!! I'm a genuine spanner welding, engine fxing, bike restoring proper Biker!!

Offline suzukisrv90

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 04:55:40 AM »
I was just searching for instructions on how to made a transistor-thyristor based ignition system for a simple single cylinder motorcycle..
I have a 1976 suzuki, that originaly came with points.. now it has a "Atom Electronic Ignition" Module, that module went bad, i've disamble it and found there is a transistor inside, and two diodes and one resistence... but i have no wiring diagram, no idea how to connect them!..

If anyone has a diagram or the idea of how to made a simple magneto based -no points- transistor ignition.. tell me please!.  ;D

thnks

Offline myljach

• Advanced Member
  • benelli 2502c
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 06:42:40 AM »
Hello from Croatia!
Here is the diagram

Offline myljach

• Advanced Member
  • benelli 2502c
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 07:00:44 AM »
in my previous post you have names of parts, if is not good, and it have some trouble vith rpm's, i have experience vith 1micro F condensers, bike vhose not vorking under 4000 rpm, and I put 2, and all vorks fine, like original.
how to conect to bike
L1- came from stator spool(coil, reel), goes too induktance ( look like big capacitor) and from capacitor too L1

L2- too high voltage spool(spool for sparkplug), not hot, ground of spool

L3-cames from stator ground from coil spool,

L4- cames from pick up

L5-hot of high voltage spool

Offline myljach

• Advanced Member
  • benelli 2502c
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 07:21:06 AM »
I use online dictionary for some words so if something is not understending, tell me.
before I made my ignition, i $%^&& my self 2 years at internet, motoservises and servisers for electronic and zero points. I vent to Imola in Italy and find all neew or old parts, cilinders, magneto, everiting, but elecronic ignition.
Possible is too make batery ignition vith no magneto, but it needs  lots of vork  and changes in bike, my frend have a workshop for restauration and got lots of parilla, ducati, keidler, ziegler, sever and other, and all juse one same ignition, vith no generator.
Short explenation of my benelli  wiaring diagram:
i have 2 cilinders, witch pistons are in 180 degree diference. i dont have two electronics or two pick ups, i have one pick up and one electronicks, but magneto have two indicator too pick up, and it give two sparks in same time in booth cilinders in one process. one is in upper  point, and other usseles is in down piston point, but in this moment it gives in same time spark in other cylinder where is in upper point (piston)
i can post from my manual wiaring diagram, but is complicated because lots of useless wires for other stuff like lights and other that is not important for generator-capacitor-spoil-spark process.
And i have batery 6V, and is only vor pover and stabilization of lights, you can start bike vith no batery.
Prymary function of ignition is replacement for mechanic     contact breaker which looses 1/6 sparks

Offline myljach

• Advanced Member
  • benelli 2502c
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 07:24:23 AM »
here is pic of prototype  ;D

Offline myljach

• Advanced Member
  • benelli 2502c
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 07:32:49 AM »
and if you make yor own ignition like in pic, clever is make cover, and post hoot plastic, for test drive I only isolate elements vith guff tape

P.S.
if you see L2 and L3 is short cyrcuit, but you must connect wires too diferent places, and  I have tvo grounds, that is vith ommether short ( grounds from generator and ground from bobina( highvoltage spoil)) it goes too L2 and L3

if i remember something, I post it

Offline suzukisrv90

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 07:59:27 AM »
Thanks for all the information! is more or less what i was trying to do..

I'm surprised to see that the wiring is little more complicated than I thought, my bike has one cylinder.. the points were bad a lot time ago and they aren't there.. I was using a "Atom" electronic ignition chip, that basically was an very small plastic piece (about 1 inch long) with a tyristor, diode and capacitor inside... and only two wires, but.. at 15 years old.. it went bad :-/
Your set up is pretty much the same, but i'm reading it one more time to know how to connect it to the bike.. :)

Another time.. thanks a lot!. greetings from chile

Offline myljach

• Advanced Member
  • benelli 2502c
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 03:50:08 AM »

I'm surprised to see that the wiring is little more complicated than I thought, my bike has one cylinder.. the points were bad a lot time ago and they aren't there.. I was using a "Atom" electronic ignition chip, that basically was an very small plastic piece (about 1 inch long) with a tyristor, diode and capacitor inside... and only two wires, but.. at 15 years old.. it went bad :-/
Your set up is pretty much the same, but i'm reading it one more time to know how to connect it to the bike.. :)

this electronic ignition is for one cylinder, I have mechanical modification in my 2stroke benelli that it works for two. This ignition is about 32 years old, and my diagram is authentical, I made it that way too I must open old ignition that whose cowered with hard plastic, and after 2 days i make diagram and try gess electronic parts. But the principial is the same, thyristor is electronic switch, diode is the one way wents stabilization, capacitor is for condensing electronic power of impulse that goes to capacitor, witch one make impuls stronger about couple 1000, and make spark.

good luck!