Author Topic: 750 bonnie  (Read 7969 times)

Offline gus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
750 bonnie
« on: July 02, 2005, 07:12:16 PM »
smoking triumph,i fitted a morgo rotery oil pump to the bonnie,rebuilt the top end and fitted new valves and norman hyde guides with seals,when engine gets hot it starts smoking,mainly out of the right pot,im running a steady 65 psi on tick over to normal throttle,the pistons and rings had been replaced over 2,000 miles ago,that i think can be the only problem now,has any one else used a morgo rotery pump and have had simaler problems,the right hand plug tends to misfire after about 30 miles,and is slightly wet with oil,gus.

Offline gus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: 750 bonnie
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 09:33:35 PM »
just removed carbs,the right hand inlet and valve is covered in oil,i fitted new valove guides weeks ago,found the above problem ,so i ordered a set of valve guides seals and valves from norman hyde and same again wet inlet valves,is this caused by to much oil in the rocker boxes,is there a way of restricting feed to the rockers,gus

Offline gus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 10:47:37 PM »
got head off and both piston crowns soaked in oil,will remove barrels and check piston and ring clearences,this bike" will" be running as soon as i can find the oil problem,gus

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2005, 05:56:41 AM »
Sorry to hear that the Hyde valve guides didn't cure the problem.
You could try fitting a restrictor to the rocker oil feed  pipe?
Are you sure the oil isn't leaking down between the guides and the cylinder head?  
If no-one else here can give you any better answers to your questions you could try asking on the Triumph Bonneville message board?
http://members5.boardhost.com/shropshireclass/index.html
L.A.B.

Offline gus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 05:03:55 PM »
the hyde guides are working,it looks like the pistons are the cause,i have never had a valve guides causing this problem before,so i am going for a rebore with new pistons and rings,the bores where honed before and now i have score marks in there,both compression rings were soaked when i took the barrels off,so this can be the only problem ,let you all know how i get on ,gus

Offline gus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
,the 3 part assysRe: 750 bonnie
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 11:59:21 PM »
its the poxy oil rings,the 3 part assys,checked some of the old pistons from the past,one has the 3 part assy and the other has a single oil ring,that still has spring in it  but the 3 part assy ones are flush with the piston,so my conclusion is ,buy the single oil ring as they do the job and these 3 parters bin,1,500 miles these lasted,pretty poor for oil control rings,i have now ordered pistons rings gudgion pins and clips plus the gaskets,will put them in the weekend,gus.

Offline Big_Ed

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 01:44:02 AM »
I had a '71 650 Bonnie that was smoking heavily out of the right side.  It was quite some time ago so I am not certain how, but I figured out that the oil pump was not doing a good enough job scavenging excess oil from the sump.  I am thinking maybe I had pulled the sump plug and a lot of oil still came out even after just running it.  I replaced the pump and the smoke was gone.  I kinda hope this is still not your problem as it looks like you have gone through a lot of trouble and expense to come back to where you started!  It could be you have a some restriction or obstruction in the scavenge pipe even.