Author Topic: A sad unidentified Matchless.  (Read 6315 times)

Offline robs.2000

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
A sad unidentified Matchless.
« on: December 13, 2006, 09:09:25 PM »
Hi!

Any Matchless experts please get in touch. I have a bike that is in a desperate state of repair and many bits are missing! I want to eventually sell it to an extreme enthusiast who is willing to spend alot of time and money restoring it to its former glory but first it really needs to be identified. I have many pictures to send via email. Please get in touch and help this poor bike on its journey to be pottering around the quiet country lanes on a sunny Sunday afternoon!

reply to this thread or email me at rob_careless@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:12:29 PM by robs.2000 »

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Re: A sad unidentified Matchless.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 09:44:39 PM »
Rob
if you can post the engine number, we'll be able to tell you the model/year.  Its on the crankcase at the base of the cylinder on the nearside.

regards

Nigel.

Offline robs.2000

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 10:53:13 PM »
Lovely!! After much grovelling around on a dirty garage floor the said engine number is: 14/CSR/15454

Regards

Rob

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 11:55:22 PM »
14/CSR would make it a 'Model 14 CSR' but that would also seem to make it the AJS version, not a Matchless (G2 CSR) although they are practically identical, the frame of course could be Matchless (what is the frame number?) and the registration document (maybe you do not have that if you do not know the numbers?) could also show it as a Matchless as the parts would be interchangeable between both AJS and Matchless versions.
The fact that there is no year code included in the engine number suggests that it is after 1963, the 14 CSR was made from 1962-66, so I expect it is one of the '64-'66 models?
Unfortunately these 'Lightweight model' machines are not particularly sought-after, and so will not be particularly valuable.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 04:31:58 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline robs.2000

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 03:38:01 AM »
[glb]Wow![/glb] thank you for this information! This motorbike has been inherited by my family with no history or paperwork.  The only thing that has given us a clue to it being a Matchless untill now is the 'M' badge on the petrol tank. Can you point me in the right direction as to where the frame number is or is it randomly stamped somewhere!

Thanks again

Rob

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 06:07:13 AM »
I'm not exactly sure where you will find the frame number as my knowledge of AMC motorcycles (AJS/Matchless/etc.) is fairly limited, although the normal place would be on or around the steering head area?

For more info on this machine I would contact the owners club:
http://www.jampot.com/
L.A.B.