Author Topic: Help with Royal Enfield ID  (Read 15892 times)

Offline KingRat

• Advanced Member
  • Ratty
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Royal Enfield ID
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 10:20:08 PM »
Hi Jan,

Thank you for that, well worth doing. It might well start the jigsaw (or even solve it!!).

Thank you for your help. I am so looking forward to restoring this one, mainly because it's been in the family for so long, and it's a nice thing to own.

Kind regards,

Nigel
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:20:30 PM by KingRat »

Offline V.twin.14

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 01:59:51 AM »
Hi Nigel,
    For assistance with reg. nos. can I reccomend my old mate Mike Worthington Williams, you can contact him at worthycomments@btconect.com If the reg. records still exist then he will know where to look. As regards restoration, your photo looks good and I'd leave well alone, apart from mechanical fettling. My every day bike is a totally original 1927 Model 186 Royal Enfield and sidecar on which I do about 8,000 miles a year. I polish what paint there is and where it is lacking I give it a spray of WD.40. Every time I go out you can guarantee someone will come up and talk to you and I have discovered a wealth of bikes and spares from these encounters. Best wishes Tim R-R( V.twin 14)

Offline KingRat

• Advanced Member
  • Ratty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 06:48:55 PM »
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your comments. I will contact Mike to see if he can help.

Several people have suggested that I leave the bike as it is, and I am tempted to do that. I will strip the mechanicals down as the motor hasn't turned since 1968 to the best of my knowledge. The photos do make the bike look better that it really is, but its bare metal underneath, and that originality maybe well worth keeping as you say.

I appreciate your advice, having never used this forum before I am impressed with how helpful everyone has been.

If I see a 1927 Model 186 c/w sidecar, I will stop for a natter!!!!

Kind regards,

Nigel