Author Topic: My Grandfathers old bike  (Read 4579 times)

Offline Anton

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
My Grandfathers old bike
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:15:08 AM »
I found these pictures of my Grandfathers old bike in an photo album. I need help to identify this bike, since my main interest are vintage cars.
The information I have, is that the registration plates on the photo was first used in Sweden 1936..but the bike may be older than that!? My grandfather was born in 1919. And during the 1920ies and 1930ies you had to be 18 years old to get a drivers license. So the pictures is probably taken 1937 or later. It looks like a BSA emblem on the tank..?

Regards
/Anton, Sweden
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 06:15:48 AM by Anton »

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: My Grandfathers old bike
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:47:56 AM »
Anton, could the photographs be post-war ? Were Swedish number plates transferred ?

I think that I can see a field stand on the first picture. The bike looks like a civilianised military WM20 BSA.

His goggles don't look 1930s to me either.

Offline Anton

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:42:38 PM »
Yes, the picture may be post-war. If its a civilianised bike, it shold have civilian registration plates.  But the Swedish army did not use WM20, only the B33,M33 model. Altough, the bike looks like it all black or green.

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 02:16:09 AM »
There can't be many countries in the world which never saw any ex-WD M20 s!

Many were supplied to friendly countries at the end of the war. Certainly Norway had ex-WD bikes and within a very short time, the big UK dealers were selling them off. In those days of "export or die" in the UK, suppliers would have been prepared to send things anywhere.