Author Topic: triumph 3hw clutch rod  (Read 6369 times)

Offline t8hants

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
triumph 3hw clutch rod
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:32:28 PM »
I have a 1945 triumph 3hw, which was taxed for 6 months back in 1947.  I have had it for twenty years, and every time I think about putting it back on the road I hit the same problem, I have lost the clutch rod and and bush.  Non of the dealers I have e-mailed or in the past  sent snail mail, has offered a spare.  Can anybody tell me where I can get the missing items, what are usable alternatives (i.e. off which machine), or let me know what the overall length should be so I can try and make one, if all else fails.

thanks....Gareth

Offline TriSpec

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: triumph 3hw clutch rod
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 06:48:33 PM »
Gareth,

I don't know what length the push-rod was but you should be able to simply push a length of stout wire through from the operating lever end until it contacts the clutch and then estimate how much needs to stick out the end for the operating lever to push in order to separate the clutch plates. Then cut a length of rod slightly longer of a diameter slightly less than the hole. Try the clutch operation and file an end down until it separates the clutch plates satisfactory from the handlebar lever, and when you are satisfied harden the two ends of the rod.

Cheers, Peter C.  

Offline peteR

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:50:03 PM »
I know as an experienced biker I'm supposed to know this - but how would you harden the ends?
Pete.

Offline TBS

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 01:03:14 AM »
Pete, only use silver steel for a pushrod, then to harden the ends, heat the end in a flame until it goes dull red, and quench in oil. Then clean with wire wool, and re-heat until it goes straw yellow, quench in oil, sorted.

www.thebikeshed.net

Offline peteR

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 02:39:46 AM »
Thanks TBS.  I've had a problem with a pushrod on my modest C15.  The end keeps wearing.  I'll try hardening it up with this procedure.  Many thanks again.

PeteR