Author Topic: Omega magneto timing  (Read 6361 times)

Offline tourer

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Omega magneto timing
« on: October 21, 2006, 02:43:19 AM »
HI, I am a new member and already seeking help. I have a 1923 350cc two stroke single Omega. Can anyone tell me what magneto timing I should use. I can start with the points opening at TDC with full retard, but maybe someone can give me distance before TDC at full advance or number of degrees? Many thanks

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Omega magneto timing
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:49:51 PM »
Hi, as you can guess, I run a Ner-a-car, and have quite a bit of experience on them, particularly the 2-strokes. The largest of these is 285cc, with a measurement of 70mm bore by 74mm stroke. In the original English handbooks it gave NO timing figures at all! But the US handbooks did! Even then it was very vague. It depended on the fuel that was available.
I set my engines, which have fixed flywheel ignition, at about 5/32" BTDC. The US book suggests a max of 5/16" for the worst fuel, retarding it to between 3/16" and 1/16" for the better fuels.

It sounds as if you may have a manual magneto fitted. If so, I would suggest setting it at TDC fully retarded and then try it, then by adjusting the timing by the lever you could find out which setting it goes best at. I would think that you'd get a reasonable range of adjustment using the lever.

Incidentally, a friend has just bought an Omega. I have yet to see it - it's apparently a 1921 model, and looking at Tragatchs book may have an engine of about 275cc.

Offline tourer

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 01:51:28 AM »
Many thanks for your helpful advice. I tried TDC with full retard on the magneto and it started immediately. You are correct about the range of advance available through the A/R lever. I am still trying to determine the best setting whilst riding - not that easy! I would be very interested to get some more details about your friend's Omega. Mine has an engine made? or at least stamped with Omega's name on it. I have seen two other Omegas both had JAP engines. Best wishes John

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:58:46 AM »
Have a feeling that this one is a Villiers motor - he emailed me some piccies, but I accidentally deleted them! I'll see if he can re-send them. I also have a photo of one, age unknown, here on my desk to show him. That too looks like a Villiers. Reg. no. is YB 2311. Took it years ago at a steam show, but can't remember where!! Will try and send them to you tomorrow.

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 12:00:39 AM »
Hi, I've tried to send you an email with some piccies etc. let me know if you've got them, will you, please?

Offline tourer

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 01:31:07 AM »
Thanks for trying. but no pictures just a reference to this site. Did you try to attach them to my e-mail address john.shepherd63@ntlworld.com?

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 04:19:48 AM »
Must have done it wrong agen Ken! DOH! Will send to you now. :-[

Offline neracarken

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 12:10:33 AM »
John, got your email via hotmail. Just realised that when I send from hotmail to ntl they sometimes disappear into thin air! I did send the photos via hotmail.
Just tried to send them via my ntl account, but that too has failed! iIt says

"This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

The user(s) account is temporarily over quota."

Maybe your inbox is full?

Offline tourer

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:18:10 PM »
Sorry, for the first time ever I did exceed my in box capacity. Have now deleted a significant amount of mail so it should be Ok now. Did you receive my Omega photo?