Author Topic: Forum members bike reviews?  (Read 11044 times)

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
Forum members bike reviews?
« on: March 14, 2008, 03:29:53 AM »
Dear VintageBike,
I've had a thought which would involve some work on your part but might be useful to many. I am proposing a separate section of reviews of the various makes and models owned by members.
Not rose-tinted twaddle from yesteryear but realistic writ-ups of what we currently run. There is a lot of knowledge that is untapped in the readers and contributors to these pages.
I notice that there is a member asking what a Honda CB750K is like, as I write this. If there was an owner's view on that model available here, they could peruse that and maybe get their answer. Perhaps a price guide depending condition could be included. If the reviews were attributable to their authors then the reader could privately message the author with any specific queries. This type of info is probably available in a number of other locations but not here.
Is it feasible, is it wanted, is it worthy.................?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:48:12 AM by Searchguru »

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Forum members bike reviews?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 12:57:44 PM »
People,
I started this thread in March this year. I see that it has now had 553 visits. Does this prove that there is a need for such a review section? Clearly people have clicked expecting to find something and have been left wanting.
Vintagebike, what do you think?

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:40:08 PM »
I have been one of the 553 viewers of this thread.  My reaction at the time was, "isn't it easy to suggest things which increase the (voluntary) work load for others"!
  Nigel does a fine and I am sure at times, a thankless job.
  I think most of us could suggest additions, but are thankful for what we have.

Jim.
Jim Walker.

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:50:12 PM »
Twolitre,
It was just an idea. If I had the ability to do it I would offer to do it. I am indebted to you for your very helpful input. Clearly it was very wrong of me to suggest this. Thank you.
624 people have looked now.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »
It was just an idea. If I had the ability to do it I would offer to do it.

If it's going to be so easy for others to do, then why not you?

I am indebted to you for your very helpful input. Clearly it was very wrong of me to suggest this.

I'm not trying to start any kind of argument, merely looking at this logically.

Had you put forward the idea with yourself offering to take on the majority of the workload, then perhaps it may have been better received?

Yes, a good idea, in theory, but I wonder how long it would need to transform some one's scribbling into a presentable article on a regular basis, - with all the necessary corrections, edits, adding of photos and maybe the whole thing would need to be re-written if English wasn't the author's first language?

The fact that Nigel has preferred to stay silent must give an indication of his feelings on the subject of what could end up being lot of extra work for him?  

624 people have looked now.

4120 people at present have looked at a post entitled "HELLO" - about somebody saying - Hello!  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:52:08 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Martin_UK

• Advanced Member
  • Have Triumphs....and a very large toolkit...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »
I think if people want a road test on a particular bike they are now able do an electronic search on either TCM's or Classic Bike's websites and purchase the particular back issue of the magazine for a road test/article for not too much money.

Just my two pennies worth.

BTW I ride Triumphs.....and my review is that they're great to ride !!  :D

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 09:45:18 AM »
My original idea was purely for a section to be created similar to 'The Bikers Bar' into which contributors could then write their own thoughts down on, let's say, a BSA Rocket 3. Someone else can add to it and so on and so on then maybe a balanced view could be obtained on said Rocket 3.
As it is you get people asking questions like - I've been offered a Honda 400/4 are they any good? There may be a plethora of opinions somewhere within this website but human nature dictates that the same questions get repeated time after time. This is partly due to not bothering to look, not knowing where to look or the question being worded differently.
I wouldn't have thought it would need editing or transforming unless it was offensive to someone. As it is contributions aren't currently edited or checked for spelling and it wouldn't need photos.
It just needs to be -
"I rode one of these for 5 years in the mid seventies. It could do X mph and Y mpg. It couldn't pull the skin off cold custard but could corner like blah blah. Don't leave the rear carb bellmouth uncovered when parked in the rain or it fills up with water........etc"

The problem you could get if Mr A doesn't agree with what Mr B wrote about Honda C90 or whatever then it could end up getting a bit silly. But that could then be removed to await something more sensible.

As I said it was just a thought.