Author Topic: Help what bike is this and how old?  (Read 10047 times)

Offline soal

• View Profile
Help what bike is this and how old?
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:28:39 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to help my 81 year old dad with his family tree, also to write about his childhood to hand on to the family.  We have come across an old photo of his Grandmother on a motor bike.  I would like to know what bike it is and how old it is.  It may give me some idea of the date of the photo.  Thankyou in advance.....Soal.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Help what bike is this and how old?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »
Hi Soal,

Your dad's grandmother is sitting on a BSA from the early-mid 1920s. I'm not an expert on the exact models, but I'd be surprised if it were earlier than say 1922 or later than about 1926. Of course the photo could have been taken later.

If I had to guess, I'd say the bike was a big V-twin, perhaps something like this one: http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/BSA%20Bikes/pages/BSA%20Model%20E.htm . Just the thing for hauling a sidecar!

Leon

Offline soal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:51:41 PM »
Thankyou so much Leon.  Is there any way I could trace if this bike is still in existance? If it was, is there any way of knowing who owned it.  Not that I want to buy it, just that it would make my dads day to know that someone was looking after it.

Soal

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:11:24 PM »
I'm in Australia, so can't help much with the rego, but L.A.B. posted a link on a recent post http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2783.0 - might be worth following.

Leon

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 11:35:52 PM »
I just checked 'KL 9827' on the DVLA database, and there's no record of that registration.

All I can tell you is that KL identifies it to have been registered in Maistone, Kent.
L.A.B.

Offline soal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:32:17 PM »
Thanks for your help L.A.B.    I'm not familiar with what happens if you own a vintage bike.  Could it be possible that the bike still exists even though it isn't registered at DVLA, also is there any way of finding out who owned the bike in the 20's and 30's?  Would there be a record of previouse owners anywhere?
I suspect the answere would be no, however thought I would ask.

Soal

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 11:01:28 PM »
Could it be possible that the bike still exists even though it isn't registered at DVLA,

Yes, there's  a VERY SLIM CHANCE that it still exists....somewhere?

also is there any way of finding out who owned the bike in the 20's and 30's?  Would there be a record of previouse owners anywhere?

You would have to find out if the old Maidstone vehicle records still exist or not? As many of the local vehicle office records were destroyed after the DVLC (now DVLA) took over the system in the mid-70's?

So I can only suggest you contact The Kithead Trust and see if they have any information (although Maidstone does not appear to be listed): http://www.kitheadtrust.org.uk/

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:04:46 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline soal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 04:04:12 PM »
Thanks for everyones help.....I have something to go on now.....You never know, something might turn up...I have helped dad to write his life story in a family book, it is amazing what I have found out on the internet and through emailing historians, about his grandfathers company.  Soal

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
The KL series was issued May 1924 - September 1925. A number as high as 9827 would put it late in this period.

The chances of an outfit from this period surviving are very small. The DVLA check is tied to a make so if the number has been transferred as a 'cherished' number to another vehicle, it will not show and neither will it if the bike never made it onto the computerised registration system but is sitting somewhere awaiting restoration.

Offline soal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 01:33:48 AM »
Thanks for the info RichP

Regards Soal

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 08:49:47 AM »
The DVLA check is tied to a make so if the number has been transferred as a 'cherished' number to another vehicle, it will not show

However, there are website database searches that do not require the vehicle's make to be entered, such as this one:  https://www.mycarcheck.com/ so it is possible to check if a particular registration number has perhaps been re-issued as a personalised plate and I had checked 'KL 9827' on that site previously, and it didn't show up.
L.A.B.

Offline Misskapow

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2021, 04:00:23 PM »
I know this is a really old thread; but I was wondering if you ever managed to find out more information on the bike please?
I’ve come across a picture of the same bike amongst the collection of photos passed down by my grandma and came across your post when searching the number plate.
Thank you
Amy

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2021, 10:43:56 PM »
I've come into this thread somewhat late too.
That early to mid 20s model of BSA sidecar hauler v-twin was somewhat popular back then,
and were often totally worn out by the time of their retirement.
They had belt rim type brakes too, not the best as traffic became heavier.
So tended to be replaced by later models with better brakes, as 1925+ had.
Not so conducive to long term survival I'm afeared ?
Nethertheless some did survive.
There are also 3 or 4 varieties of what are called the same model,
with minor changes for various markets.
Restorers take note !

« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 10:47:58 PM by R »

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 12:10:41 AM »
if the bike has turned up in another pic,then its quite likely its a photographers prop,and researching it wont go anywhere.