Author Topic: Triumphn Tiger Cub T20 1958 - help on tool choice required  (Read 2654 times)

Offline tyminski

• View Profile
Triumphn Tiger Cub T20 1958 - help on tool choice required
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
Hi all

Can you help?

I have a Cub T20 which I'm about to start restoring however I don't have any tools as yet to dismantle the engine. I know the I need a set of BSF / BSW spanners and sockets but I don't know what size range is best to purchase to get me started, can you offer some advise?

Thanks

Matt

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
Re: Triumphn Tiger Cub T20 1958 - help on tool choice required
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »
Hi Matt. There is a slightly confusing part to this because BSF and BSW (Whitworth) use the same spanners although they are marked differently. For example 3/16BSW 1/4 BSF. The BSF is always 1/16" more and old spanners wil be marked like this. So an open end spanner will be 3/16whit 1/4 BSF   -    1/8whit 3/16 BSF. You will need the range from 3/16whit 1/4 BSF up to 7/16whit 1/2BSF.  Combination spanners are a good idea because you get open end and ring in one. Beware of cheap new spaneers because they usually break or bend. If you are in the UK you can still find lots of old spanners at car boot sales and autojumbles which are cheap but good quality. Happy spannering.