Author Topic: Early Humber - help with registration number please  (Read 5714 times)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Early Humber - help with registration number please
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:31:19 AM »
A friend found this photo amongst his father's papers (together with some happy snaps from c1930 TT races). The original print is only about 2" x 1 1/2", and somewhat bent and faded. Through the marvels of Photoshop, the bike seems to be an early Humber - around 1910-11, as the later ones had the magneto behind the engine. Or it could be one of those funny marques that look just like Humber - Centaur comes to mind. Given the electric? head light, perhaps the photo is a little later.
To try to put the photo in context, can anyone add anything about the bike, the location, or the origin/date of the registration F4654?
Thanks. Leon

Offline DM

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Early Humber - help with registration number please
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:46:41 PM »
"F" Reg No's were from Essex County Council and were issued from Jan 1904 to Mar 1915.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:32:06 PM »
Thanks DM: the date range fits and F4654 was probably given to the bike when new in 1910-11.

There is something slightly odd about this photo. Does anyone know enough about gentlemen's attire to date it? Also I don't quite understand what it is they're standing in front of - a hot chip van????

Leon

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:17:52 PM »
I would think that the photo is pre-WW1. Bowler hats seem to have been more the preserve of ex-officers after then. The beard went out of fashion too.

Isn't it just a charabanc that they're standing in front of (with a timber framed house behind) ?

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
Well done RichP! Yes I see now it is a charabanc (the pre-cursor to the touring bus), pointing to the left of photo. I had been a bit thrown by the height of the thing, the absence of visibe wheels, and the size of the door handles which look more suited to a refrigeration unit. I've attached a larger photo to make things easier to see. If you look at the third man from the left, you can see one of the sidelights coming out near his right ear, and the windscreen above his left shoulder. There are some numbers ...218... painted on the chassis at far right. Such a device could easily be c1914. The wall of the house seems to be faux-tudor - dark framework painted on to brick.
Now I don't suppose anyone knows of a building like this in Essex c1914? I guess not! Thanks for all the help.
Leon

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »
Hmm... mock-Tudor doesn't come any more mock than that, does it ? I don't think I've ever seen that sort of work but I'm from Surrey and we have proper mock Tudor there !

Is the chap in the white coat and hat the driver of the 'charra' ?

It all rather has the look of a works or club outing. Did the intrepid motorcyclist ride there rather than in the bus ? Sounds like the sort of thing that I'd do.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:05 PM »
Yep - I think you've got it pretty right! The guy in the white dust coat definitely looks on the 'outside' of the group, so let's call him the driver, unless there's a large ship nearby!