Author Topic: Bike purchase and delivery dangers!  (Read 5762 times)

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
Bike purchase and delivery dangers!
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:57:21 AM »
I want to purchase a bike that is at the other end of the country.  I could pick it up but it would be easier to post a cheque off and have it delivered.  This seems really dodgey to me  :o  Giving money without receiving a V5 there and then.  I wondered how people go about it and if anyone could recommend a good bike delivery company.  Thanks.

Offline twolitre

• Advanced Member
  • ON yer bike!
    • View Profile
Re: Bike purchase and delivery dangers!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »
Not really an answer to your question, but perhaps a pertinent point.

The V5c (or V5) is no proof of ownership even if you have possession of it. It only names the REGISTERED KEEPER. NOT necessarily the OWNER. A receipt signed by THE OWNER is the only proof of ownership. And then you need to be sure that person really is the owner or you have no title to the machine at all and it could be reclaimed by the genuine owner at your loss.
Jim Walker.

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »
Thanks 'twolitre' i didn't realise that - interesting.  I have decided to take my trailer up and pick it up mysefl.  It will be a two day round trip but it is the safest option.

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:45:19 PM »
Relatively recently there was a bike advertised, a weird make that was recognised by the cogniscenti as one that had changed hands several years earlier.  Deceased estate, usual perfectly plausible story.  Nice photos, but a bit short on detail, and the further details could not be readily provided because the bike was allegedly in Scilly.  All fairly reasonable; except the bike was not for sale at all.  Some enterprising creep had found photos from when it was sold previously and set up a scam.

I'd be seeing it first if there is any doubt.

JFerg

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:39:57 AM »
JFerg

This is becoming a regular occurrence, I have reported two exactly like you describe on ebay since Christmas and seen reports of others.

I personally  sold a bike sight unseen last year to a guy who lives over 200 miles from me he transferred 5k straight into my Bank and sent a courier for the bike, luckily for him I am honest and when he got the bike he was really pleased with it, but what a risk to take he had no idea who I am.

Regards
Revband

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:10:43 AM »
Some of us are ok, in fact probably the very great majority, it's just that there are enough mongrels to spoil it.

I recently bought a bike from Wolverhampton (over 12,000 miles away) on the basis of some email photos, a very happy deal.  The vendor was sort of known to some at the far end of the network, however, so I never even considered the scope for fraud. 

It's not sufficient reason to not trade by correspondence, so long as you are careful, do truly apply "due dilligence" and are not merely smitten and love-struck.

cheers,
JFerg

Offline BSA1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 11:18:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice I am going to pick it up with my trailer.  Thinking about possible salt on the road and not wanting a cover flapping about behind me for hours I was thinking about covering the bike in ten rolls of cling film, LOL, seriously, it may work  :-\