Author Topic: Can anybody help please?  (Read 7196 times)

Offline clement

• View Profile
    • Email
Can anybody help please?
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:31:09 AM »
Hi,

I have just found the bones of an old motorbike. 

It has Radco on the engine, Aurora on the fuel tank, and on the head of the frame, is a small alloy plate, with Aurora PH Vickery, Dee Street, Invercargill.

The PH Vickery Invercargill I can understand.  They were BMC agents in Invercargill, Southland, New Zealand. 

I was just wondering if you can help identify as to what it is and how old it is?

Please find attached photos.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody help please?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »
I strongly suspect that PH Vickery merely rebadged a Radco in the early days calling it an Aurora. Radco were made by E A Radnell & Co of Birmingham who were predominantly a metal stamping and pressing firm but the owner was a keen on motorcycles and produced a small stream of bikes through the vintage years, coming to halt in 1932. In their latter years they also used proprietary engines, Villiers and JAP, but their pride and joy was their own make 250cc two-stroke which is what you have before you. These are usually easy to date as the first two numbers in the engine number denote the year of manufacture. That is, 1923 engine numbers all start 23, 1924 engine numbers all start 24 and so on. That said when the engine was getting a bit long in the tooth they dropped it only to bring it back an up to date version for the 1930 season although they kept the same 67x70mm bore and stroke. Whether they kept the same engine numbering system I don't know, nor do I know if they began production with the same engine number system.
My MotorCycle Index 1913-1924 only has them from 1922 but Radco first appeared on the market in 1914, just before the start of World WarI  which rather brought things to a halt quick smart. The 1922 date was them coming back for a second bite at the cherry. If you are very lucky you might have one of the early ones. The general outline tends to appear that way.
Whatever the case you have the bones of a fun little bike, not that complicated to restore, not that fast and a bit like an overgrown pushbike to ride.
Can you tell us the engine and frame numbers please?
Cheers,

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »
Nice find! Yes indeed the bike looks like a re-badged Radco (and all the more interesting for it), and from the Radco fork still fitted you'll likely find it dates just prior to or early WW1. When Radco announced new machines after the war, they noted "the 1919 model is very little altered, except that Druid forks are now fitted in place of the more simple Radco type embodied in the earlier models". You could have some fun with this bike!
Leon

Offline clement

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:55:02 AM »
Hi.  Thanks to 33d6 and cardan, for your info.  I went back out to the farm where the bike is lying, this morning.  The engine number is 14360, but I cannot find a frame number.  But the old gentleman that owns it, produced an original hand book, for a Radco 1914 2 stoke motorcycle, and it is rated at 2 1/4 horse power.  Which is 62 mm by 70 mm bore and stroke, giving 211cc.  The only major parts I can see missing are the carburator and mag.  It doesn't have any pedals or clutch arrangement, so it looks like you just push start and jump on!  According to the original hand book it has hand written inside the front cover, fixed 50 pound. or 2 speed 57 pound.  So a gear box was obviously an optional extra.  I'm still interested to know what a thing like this may be worth when restored, as to whether it is worth persuing?  Thanks.  Regards, Graeme.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:49:06 AM »
Well, as an enthusiastic rider of ancient two-strokes I couldn't see how anyone could pass up such a sweetie even though a lot of work needs to be done before you throw a leg over and ride off into the sunset. As for value, that is a messy question. Do you mean it's value as it lies there at present or its restored value? No veteran is cheap and as they aren't making any more of them I doubt they'll go down in value. Basically you can say that whatever the initial price and cost of restoration you should expect to get your money back if and when you sell it. Just remember it is at the other end of the motoring scale from a Rolls-Royce so don't expect to be a millionaire on the proceeds.
Your other info on the bike is much more interesting than discussions on 'value'. The engine number confirms that right from the start Radco prefixed the engine number with the year of manufacture and the engine capacity of 211cc is absolutely in line with the thinking of the day. Levis had already made this engine capacity popular with their machines. Obviously as time went on Radnell & Co increased the bore to 67mm and made it a full 250 but in your case that was yet to come.
Information on the wee beastie is easy to come by. The Vintage Motor Cycle Club Library in England has info on early Radco and even has a 1913 Patent specification drawing for the front forks. They also have various early catalogues and leaflets plus a full collection of the magazines of the day. Unlike some Clubs the VMCC are happy to deal with non-members. Information is not a problem.
Cheers,

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 07:07:32 AM »
What's it worth? A big grin when you ride it down a country lane on a sunny day! If someone tells you it's worth a fortune, invite them to buy it and see how they change their tune. If you can get it for a reasonable price, try a budget restoration (with most of the budget on piston/cylinder, magneto and carburettor - you'll need all the performance you can get), and enjoy a ride.
Leon