Author Topic: Early Triumph Engine Find  (Read 5261 times)

Offline spqr

• View Profile
Early Triumph Engine Find
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:49:10 PM »
I have got an old Triumph engine and am trying to identify it. From what I have found on your
website it appears to be a 1912 3.5 hp TT Roadster engine.
Can you confirm this ? the engine number is 13333 and both crank cases
have the number 558 stamped on them .
I found the engine in the back of a shed where it had been for some
considerable time , on the up side it still turns over and has
compression however there was no sign of the magneto or the rest of the
bike.
Is there a market for this engine ? or shall I polish it up, mount it
and stick it on my mantlepeice?
Any advice/info would be much appreiciated thanks,
chris

Offline boardtrack

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Early Triumph Engine Find
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 06:16:51 AM »

It's a lovely little engine.  I think it was a 500cc from 1911 until the Model H in 1914 which was 550cc & the Triumph that went to war (c.30,000-40,000 to the military, I think 40k closer - 30k to Britian & the rest to CND, ANZAC, etc. )

I know there are #s for every Triumph made, I forget exactly where (likely more than one source) but I doubt you'll have much trouble accessing them.  It is a relatively common bike (for a 1912) I may have some production figures, will check.

Offline boardtrack

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 06:43:13 AM »
Triumph Production was c. 3,000 per yr in 1911 & 1912. Triumph had many racing successes, won the single cyl. class in 1st TT (1907).[incorrect. Corrected by Rich P below vg]  As you likely know 1911 was 1st yr full mountain circuit used & was swept 1-2-3 by the Indian V-twin made about 80 miles up the road from where I live in Connecticut. 1912 was just after Triumph dropped all pedal gear.  Pretty bike, pretty engine w/gd rep for reliability & the ‘H’ earned the accolade  ‘Trusty Triumph’ in the Great War.  Top speed (1912) c. 50-55mph & be careful – easy bike to get hooked on.    
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:21:23 PM by boardtrack »

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:20:31 PM »
I thought that Charlie Collier won the single cylinder class of the first TT on one of his own Matchlesses ?

Offline boardtrack

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:39:05 PM »
I thought that Charlie Collier won the single cylinder class of the first TT on one of his own Matchlesses ?
You are right & I am dumb.  Charlie Collier indeed won the 1907 TT  'Single Cylinder' class with Triumphs taking 2nd & 3rd. The Collier brothers apparently had the field covered as Harry DNF'd & was classified last.  

BTW: I mentioned Indian's 1-2-3 in 1911, the first year of the Snaefell Mountain Course.  USA Indian did so with UK riders Oliver Godfrey, Charles Franklin & Arthur Moorehouse, though Indian's ace factory rider, Jake de Rosier was fast qualifier & led the 1st lap before mechanical problems. [note: I have just recently read he retired because of a fall.  Possibly but 'mechanical problems' & 'fall' are not mutually exclusive.]   Harry Collier, Matchless took 2nd in the Junior.

A big event after the 1911 TT, was a Match Race @ Brooklands between Charlie Collier on the Matchless-J.A.P. 985cc & Jake de Rosier, who took a tight victory in the 3 Heat event.  

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:29:20 PM by boardtrack »