Author Topic: any ideas?  (Read 4483 times)

Offline M.Ramos

• View Profile
    • Email
any ideas?
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:51:30 AM »
Hey everyone, im new here and wanted to send my greetings, Im also new at the whole bike restoration thing and my first project is a 1969 triumh tiger. Its been in a shed for close to 20 years so I decided to bring it back to life. I completely overhauled the carb and have been able to kick start it with carb cleaner but it doesnt last that long. I filled the lines and started it up again but it sucks the gas in really quickly and kills the motor. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do next. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline bikerisme

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:34:04 PM »
HI, I TRUST YOU CHANGED THE OILS FIRST AFTER STANDING ALL THAT TIME
BEFORE YOU FIRE IT UP, I THINK I WOULD CONNECT UP TO FRESH PETROL
THEN SEE WHAT HAPPENS THEN GO FROM THERE IF YOU HAVE CLEANED
THE CARBS OUT IT SHOULD RUN THEN YOU CAN FINE TUNE IT

Offline M.Ramos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:03:13 PM »
yea i went and changed the oil, added a boyer ignition, and re wired the whole bike. I went to a local shop the other day and they had mentioned I might want to check the valves to see if they're spaced right. So I think that'll be my next step.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
With respect, you've now made the job that much harder, as you've introduced more variables by rewiring and fitting a Boyer.
The other lister likely had it right when he suggested the carbs needing a clean, as it's probably the idle circuit is blocked giving the symptoms you describe. It's a common problem on these carbs which have been standing and can take some clearing due to the size and position of the jet.
"Loose valves"? :D You need to change your bike shop.....

Offline M.Ramos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »
well once i added the boyer and replaced all the junky wires, the bike was able to start up. and when i overhauled the carb, i replaced several parts as well as cleaned out every nook and cranny. ill go through it again i guess and see how that works.

Offline bikerisme

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:26:58 PM »
hi ramos,glad you changed the oil!,i wouldnt bother checking the valves clearance yet
you say it fired up so you must be getting a spark and the timing must be near on
the mark all this you can check once its running i would connect up a clean supply
of petrol then try and start it and get it running its no good just putting petrol
in the lines it needs a continous supply rig something up or put the tank back on
then try it if no go then look for other faults ::)

Offline M.Ramos

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
hi ramos,glad you changed the oil!,i wouldnt bother checking the valves clearance yet
you say it fired up so you must be getting a spark and the timing must be near on
the mark all this you can check once its running i would connect up a clean supply
of petrol then try and start it and get it running its no good just putting petrol
in the lines it needs a continous supply rig something up or put the tank back on
then try it if no go then look for other faults ::)

sounds great. i have to get another tank since the only one it came with is an old junky fiber glass racing tank from the early 80's and from what ive heard, fresh petrol would eat up the tank and clog my fuel system. Thanks for the tip.  :D