Author Topic: Please help identify my Dad's Ariel  (Read 3773 times)

Offline BonT100

• View Profile
Please help identify my Dad's Ariel
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:03:30 PM »
Here's a picture of my Dad's Ariel that he owned in the early 1950s.
Can you tell me what model it is. Is there a way I can find out if it still exists?
Thanks.

Offline Norton55

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Please help identify my Dad's Ariel
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:26:49 AM »
It looks like a bike I saw that was mentioned as a Model KG 500cc twin to me. If the bike was in the UK I believe there is website that you can use to check if it is registered in their system.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Please help identify my Dad's Ariel
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:20 AM »
This is definitley not a VG 500 twin. The exhaust pipe on the left hand side confuses the issue somewhat but identifies it as a 350cc NH Red Hunter of the late 40's-1950 period.
For some reason the Ariel factory at that time fitted the NH with a prewar style twin exhaust port head whereas the equivalent 500cc VH Red Hunter had a much more efficient single port head. This was an annoyance to NH owners as it doubled the cost of a replacement exhaust system so you paid more (a lot more) whilst knowing the twin port head reduced performance. This was on top of only being a 350 when all your mates rode 500's or even the occassional 650 twin. As you can guess, I had one when it was old and weary and I was young and broke. It was a very sweet bike but like all teenagers, sweetness was low on my list. I was not who the bike was intended for.
Cheers,