Author Topic: Need MOT and Road Tax advice  (Read 4801 times)

John J

Need MOT and Road Tax advice
« on: July 26, 2005, 05:34:54 PM »
Hi

I'm putting a T120R on the road and have a few questions.

It was made in 1968 but shows as first registered in 1993 when it was re-imported from the USA.  Is it still possible to qualify for nil rate Road Tax and what would I need to do.  It has matching engine and frame numbers, if that helps.

Secondly, it failed its MOT on worn rear wheel bearings at a Jap bike garage.  But everyone who's looked at it since says that there is hardly any play at all and the garage have been over zealous.  My local Brit bike friendly MOT place guy is on holiday, I live in Ripon North Yorks. Any suggestions of a sympathetic testing station would be much appreciated.

thanks

John J

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need MOT and Road Tax advice
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 01:23:54 AM »
It is the date that the bike was CONSTRUCTED that determines if the bike qualifies for a free tax disc (if constructed before 1st January 1973), not the date of registration, so your bike will qualify. You may need to send a dating letter to the DVLA from someone like the Triumph Owners Club, but I am not too sure of the technicalities?
Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask the DVLA?
http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/TaxationClasses/TaxationClassesArticle/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4022042&chk=OoLbFS

Maybe others here may know more?

I think most MOT stations would (should) fail a bike with play in the wheel bearings, they should be easy to replace so I cannot see any reason (personally) not to?    
L.A.B.

John J

Re: Need MOT and Road Tax advice
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 04:24:49 PM »
Thanks for that.  The bike's through its MOT now.  It turned out that it wasn't the bearing that was worn, but a retaining nut on the hub that was loose.

Now having a running problem!!  Owning a Triumph is certainly keeping me busy.  :-[

John J