Author Topic: E W Burnett & Sons  (Read 8260 times)

Offline Len

• View Profile
    • Email
E W Burnett & Sons
« on: May 26, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »
My grandmother's brother was E. W. Burnett who owned motorcycle shops in Southsea, (Portsmouth), and Ryde, (IoW), around the 1st World War period. As well as selling bikes it appears that they manufactured, (or assembled), them, one of the models being the "Brunette". I have a photograph of one of these bikes showing the name on the tank and that it was powered by a Dalm engine. I can find no information relating to these bikes, and if any still exist. Can you help me ? I will provide a copy of the photo to anyone who thinks it might help.
Len

Offline Revband

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Revband
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Revband
    • View Profile
Re: E W Burnett & Sons
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »
Hi Len

The Vintage Motorcycle Club has a register of old bikes and also a vast library devoted to the same, you will find them very helpful if you contact them.

Offline Len

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »
Hi Revbrand
Thanks. I have found a promising source, but if that fails I will give the club a try. It appears that Burnetts were heavily involved with racing etc. and were sponsors for the Keith Randall trophy prior to WW2. During WW2 they were commissioned to overhaul 2nd hand bikes for use by the Army after D-Day. They also maintained Monty's staff car ! With the bikes they also sold Morgan sports cars and claimed to be the oldest firm registered in the Motor Trades Directory as they started in 1886! It's amazing what falls out of the tree when you give it a shake !

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »
They were also the top-selling Lambretta concessionaires too....and a miserable pair of old gits to boot....... >:(

Offline Len

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 08:17:29 PM »
I can understand the resentment created by a biker's shop resorting to selling scooters, but were Reginald and Leslie Burnett really "miserable old gits" ? I understand they ran/or were involved with the Albatross and Waterlooville & District motor cycle clubs. The reports I have seen indicate that they were proficient in their trades and prepared to pass on their expertise to others. Is this untrue ?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
Yes, sadly it's true. They were probably very good at what they did, whether it was selling scooters or bikes, but they really were the epitome of "poor service" and the phrase "come back in a month or so" could have been written for them.
The old feller who was left in the final few years (don't know which  one) was as irascible as it possible to be, and wouldn't give anyone the steam off his pee.
 Some may reminisce about past times and the old-style bike shops, but if they were at all like E W Burnetts it's no wonder they died out... ::)