Author Topic: Kawasaki z250 coils and condenser  (Read 5996 times)

Offline courtney

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Kawasaki z250 coils and condenser
« on: May 17, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »
I've been having a few problems with a 1981 kawasaki z250b twin.  I can't seem to get it started and I believe he problem to be electrial.  The spark was weak and intermittent, but is now non-existant.

I've ordered new points and plug caps and these still need to arrive.  I cleaned the carbs and it has new plugs.

This is the first bike I've had with coils and I know nothing really!  It is 180 degrees firing.

I'm looking for a set of coils for the bike and also a new condenser - the pictures of my condenser (below) show it to be pretty rusty.  I know this may be just the outer appearance, but I would like to replace it.

Does anybody know where I can get a new set of coils and a condenser in the UK?  Ebay listings for coils are wrong as they only show one wire and the HT lead coming from the coil, whereas I need to have 2. 

There is this listing for a z250 single, which has two wires, but the shop doesn't know the primary resistance.  I've been told it needs to be 4-5 Ohms.  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ignition-coil-Kawasaki-Z250-Single-81-83-/190367315791?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c52c6b74f

Also looking for a suitable condenser and have seen alternative bosch ones but can't find a supplier in the UK.  If anyone knows alternatives to the parts I require or knows where I can buy them from it would be great.  I was recommended T.E. Spares in Lincolnshire, but the man is away on holiday and I don't know if they will be able to sort me out.  I need to get the bike sorted by next week to get it mot'd by Thursday so I can ride home from Cardiff to Kent on Friday.  A bit of an ask to get that far, but I have no choice! :) 

thanks and I really hope someone can help me out! :)

Offline courtney

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kawasaki z250 coils and condenser
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:36:11 PM »
don't worry, i've sorted it.

Thanks for all the replies :-*

westcoaster

Re: Kawasaki z250 coils and condenser
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
hi there,,,that condenser sure is rusty,,,if you cant find one in uk,,i can probably source one here , ( australia ) and post it over,,,i assume you reset the new spark plugs,,and maybe too,,try resting the edge of edge lead on each plug to check individual spark on each cylinder,,and try it in a dark environment which will highlight any break in lead wires,,,,it doesnt look all that serious,,so heres hoping it is simply the condenser,,,bye,,,brendan ;)