Author Topic: Schwinn American  (Read 5714 times)

TomB

Schwinn American
« on: August 03, 2010, 11:16:31 PM »
Hello, I just found this Forum, and i was hoping someone could help date a Schwinn American my wife and i just bought. At some point we will try to post pictures but for now maybe what i can tell you will help. It's a girls bike, coaster brake,original seat, blue with the white front end, no letter S on the top. Painted fenders not chrome. I cannot find a serial number. Are they usually under the frame where the pedals go through? There is a small Schwinn decal on the vertical frame under the seat that say's "Quality" on the top "Chicago" on the bottom and Schwinn in the middle,two words crossing with the "W" in the middle for both words. Under that on the same part of the frame is a checkered,red white and blue decal that goes around the frame, the decal is about 6 in. long, and the squares are outlined in gold.The tires are "Schwinn Straight Side Tornado" , 26 X 1 3/4 to fit S-7. The chain guard say's Schwinn American with a star before,between and after the two words. The bike is blue, not that that matters. Oh original black handlebar grips that also say Schwinn. Attached kickstand. Rims are chrome. Anyone have any idea as to the date of the bike?  Thanks so much, Tom

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Re: Schwinn American
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:08:37 AM »
Hi Tom,
sorry, but this website and forum only deals with motorcycles rather than pedal cycles.  I doubt that you'll get much of a response here...

Cheers
Nigel

Offline Luddite

• View Profile
Re: Schwinn American
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
Tom.  Schwinns, especially Chicago Schwinns are very easy to date.  You'll need to find the serial number first.  The American was produced postwar from the '50s to the '70s, so the stamping could be in any of the three places.  The earliest stampings were on the bottom bracket, then it moved to the left rear dropout, with the final placement being on the headtube next to the badge.

They're great bikes, nice to ride and indestructible.  You'll notice it's lugless, electro-brazed construction gives nice smooth frame joints, too.

Can you put pictures up, please?