Author Topic: Can anyone identify these?  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Petensoaf

• View Profile
Can anyone identify these?
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:28:25 AM »
Hi all,

I'm trying to identify a bike owned by my grandfather a long, long time ago. . .I know very little about bikes of any type so I thought I'd come straight to the experts.

I know the bike that appears in all three photos is a BSA but that's about the limit of my knowledge.

The BSA belonged to my grandfather (that's him with the bike) and the other bike was his brothers. . .I think the photos would have been taken in the mid to late 1940s if that's any help. . .

An ID of both bikes (but particularly the BSA) would be fantastic!

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Can anyone identify these?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:12:16 AM »
Hi,

Well I'm not much of a 1930s bike expert, so I'll leave the detailed id to someone better qualified, other than to say that with the oil in the sump (actually an oil tank cast as part of the crankcase, but separate from it) and hand gear change the BSA is from the early 1903s - 1933-4ish? Presumably a 500 ohv. The other bike looks like a Harley Davidson, and if they are twin headlights I see it is also early 1930s.

I'm more interested in the photos - taken in South Australia perhaps? Any idea exactly where? Is there a story? Very atmospheric!

Leon

Offline Petensoaf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:41:33 AM »
Hi,

Well I'm not much of a 1930s bike expert, so I'll leave the detailed id to someone better qualified, other than to say that with the oil in the sump (actually an oil tank cast as part of the crankcase, but separate from it) and hand gear change the BSA is from the early 1903s - 1933-4ish? Presumably a 500 ohv. The other bike looks like a Harley Davidson, and if they are twin headlights I see it is also early 1930s.

I'm more interested in the photos - taken in South Australia perhaps? Any idea exactly where? Is there a story? Very atmospheric!

Leon

Thanks for the at least partial ID, Leon.

Yes, all three photos were taken in South Australia. . .the centre one was definitely taken on the orchard I grew up on just outside Gumeracha in the Adelaide hills (if you know your SA geography  :)).  

The top and bottom photos were, I believe, taken on a camping trip to the Coorong. . .so it would be somewhere between Gumeracha and there. . .

The brothers did quite extensive camping trips on their bikes, apparently, covering most of South Australia. . .unfortunately, these are the only photos I have.

Offline Petensoaf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
Ah, yes, 1930 Harley looks pretty close. . .

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 12:56:50 PM »

Yes I'd guessed the South East for the "tent" photo - not many wood paling fences in upper South Australia. Yes the Harley looks about right - calling BSA experts?
Leon

Offline Norton55

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »
Hi,
Your grandfather's bike looks like the 1934 W8 below. I don't know much about BSA's so can't narrow it down to an exact year of the bike in the photos, but it should be from 1932-1935, I think. I believe OHV bikes like these were made in the 250cc, 350cc and 500cc capacity, but as Leon mentioned the one in the picture is probably a 500cc example as it has a sidecar attached. Hope this helps.
norton55
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:57:02 PM by Norton55 »