Author Topic: Triumph (oil in frame) motorcycle frames  (Read 9160 times)

Offline Newzmitch

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Triumph (oil in frame) motorcycle frames
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:54:10 AM »
Hi, I would like to know if all the 1973 and later, oil in frame motorbike frames
are the same, if theY are not, what are the differences in the frames.
thanks for your help with this question, cheers Mitch

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph (oil in frame) motorcycle frames
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »
Three things I can think of are:

1973-on frames had a different reservoir oil feed and gauze strainer.
Sometime  during 1977 production, the frames had the end of the rigid oil return pipe extended to a position below the airbox.
1979-on frames had the steering lock lug at the lower end of the headstock.
L.A.B.

Offline Newzmitch

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 06:58:45 PM »
Thanks for that,
 I have a 1974 650cc motor (rare i'm told, KJ 58988)
tank, forks and a few other bits, but dont have a frame for it,
 so i need to know what frames would be suitable to keep it
as original as possible, this info helps alot,
There seems to be very little info on the web about this
particular model and photos of any still original models are
very hard to find on the web.
my email is mitchcons@xtra.co.nz if anyone has any info
or photos of this model
Cheers Mitch
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:00:47 PM by Newzmitch »

Offline archway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 05:51:20 PM »
You will probably find that your bits will fit any OIF frame (650 or 750), more or less. That's the nice thing about Triumphs, most bits fit most others. It's also the bad thing about Triumphs because there are subtle differences that come back to bite you later.

Bear in mind that all the pre Cooperative bikes (all 650's and the very early 750's) were right foot gear change, left foot, drum (conical hub) rear brake, so you need somewhere to hang the rear brake pedal and a suitable swinging arm for the drum brake. I think that the brake pedal went on the drive side rear engine plate but I'm not dead sure. Check the parts books...

The 650 frames had a habit of cracking around the swinging arm pivot, which led to a really anoying oil leak; you had to dismantle the whole damn bike to fix it!!!! The 750 frames are much better in this respect.

Another thing to watch is the fact that the early type seat hinges from the other side. Also remember that the early frames had a very high seat height. Not the end of the world but a bit of a pain in the butt, literally.

Post 75/76 750 frames are much more common anyway, so that's probably what you'll end up with unless you are a slave to originallity.

Search Google images for Triumph T120v for pictures. If this all sounds a bit daunting, don't despair. There's loads of information and spares available for the late Bonnies. A decent 650 Triumph should be good for a genuine 100 MPH (although not for too long or too often) and the OIF frame is a really great handler; best of the lot IMHO. You can build yourself a great bike from this lot, anything from a chopper to a cafe racer and you won't get too much bother from the "spoke counters" with a late model.

If you want to see where the brake pedal fits, see http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic_bikes/triumph_t120v.jpg

Good luck with your bike. The Triumph "project bike" is part of a noble tradition...

Offline Newzmitch

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:14:43 AM »
Thanks for the info, Cheers