Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

arrow misfire

(1/1)

hinckley:
I have just got a 1962 arrow it starts ok but when i ride it it starts to cough and splutter and begins to bop and almost backfire.it will only reach about 30mph and eventualy cut out but will start again . I am a bit of a novice mechanic. I have checked there is a good spark at the plugs it has had a new mikuni carb fitted which i am unsure about ie what to check for in this area.
any help will be greatfuly received.
Thanks Mick

pogotri500:
Hi Mick,What model is your Arrow the 200cc or 250cc Sports? If my memory serves me right the 200cc model used an Amal 375 monobloc 7/8" choke and the 250cc an Amal 376 monobloc 1- 1/6" choke. What choke size is the Mikuni, possibly 24mm or 26mm? From what you say it's possible the Mikuni may not be set up to suit your Arrow. You might be better off finding  an Amal for which there are known settings. Cheers, Dave. ???  

hinckley:
Thanks Dave
i think i may try and find one. i dont know how you tell what size jetting is in the carb and how to cross match it with the old amal carb.
any way thanks very much for your advice  
Mick
( its a 250cc )

BEAMA:
I remember my mates having arrows,all of them carried spare condensers with them.The problems were just as you describe. Arrows were prone to condenser failure.
Beama

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version