Motorcycle Discussions > British Bikes

Thunderbird 6T Alternator Connections

(1/3) > >>

VintageBike:
Guys,
am lucky enough to have acquired a 1954 6T Thunderbird in unrestored and totally original condition.  Hopefully only needs a bit of fettling to get it on the road - but I need some help.  After taking the primary chaincase off to check condition, most of the soldered connections from the alternator have broken where they join the wiring harness.  

Q1. - How on earth do I work out which wires from the stator go to which cable?  Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Nigel. ???

L.A.B.:
Nigel,

Do you mean the wires have broken directly at the stator?

What model stator is it?

If it is an original I would expect it could be a non-encapsulated RM14 type?

What (loose) wire colours have you got going to the stator from the harness?    

VintageBike:
Yep I believe it is an RM14.  Certainly non-encapsulated.  I have a few of the staor wires still connected to the harness, but I have 3 (as i recall) that have become disconnected.  One has broken quite close to the coil so will need extending slightly in order to reach the harness (can you buy that insulated wire?).

The harness I have has green, white and black cables extended to the stator.  The cover is currently back on, so I can't recall the current (excuse the pun!) connections.

Nigel.

L.A.B.:

--- Quote ---The harness I have has green, white and black cables extended to the stator.
--- End quote ---

I would have expected to find light green, dark green and green/yellow wires coming from the stator, and continue into the wiring harness (as there should be three bullet connectors somewhere between the stator and the harness?).  

VintageBike:
I'll pop the cover off in a bit and just check what I have....!

Nigel.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version