Motorcycle Discussions > Identify these bikes!

Australian Acme...how old am I?

(1/3) > >>

Greencan:
Evening All...

Although I have already sent off an email to the Chaps in library, it's since occurred to me that maybe people in Oz also read this forum...so with that in mind I would be grateful if anyone who see's this might help me date this engine and thus help me date the wee motorcycle it's in.

Regards, Greencan

JFerg:
A picture would be really helpful.....

Greencan:
I'm sorry but l thought l had posted the photo correctly.
I can see it without logging on via my phone ???

Anyway, if it helps l think the engine is either an 8-D or 9-D Villiers, engine No: 351/13920

Cheers :)

33d6:
The engine number prefix 351 identifies the engine as a postwar 9D made between 1946 and end of production in 1949. Pre war and wartime 9D engines used the AA - AAA prefix depending on specification but Villiers changed to a different identification system for postwar engines.
Unfortunately as with much Villiers production it is very difficult to pin down a precise year of manufacture but certainly your engine is postwar, not prewar.
Cheers,

Greencan:
Evenin' All...

Ta for that 33d6...Is this information solely dependent on the numbers stamped on the gearbox end plate?

An amount the various bits-n-bobs that accompanied this bike including another engine which is a largely complete (but disassembled), this engine does have a completely different magneto / ignition system and only has 3 pole in the flywheel...the manifolds are not chromed like on the engine in the pic...and yep ya guessed it the bit that's missing is the gearbox end plate...which lead me to speculate the VIII-D theory. (Yes the engine in the picture has the 6 pole flywheel...I have since removed the cover plate for a look see)...thinking that the gearbox plate had been replaced...but it has not...the engine in the picture if it had been dismantled it was before 1960 (know Hx to then).

Sorry if this getting a bit drawn out but I was given this bike as being pre-war (I think you have already correctly surmised this).

The Frame number leans towards this (only has 4 characters...the other frames that came with it all have 5 and the two example of the (post-war) Bennett &Wood head stem logos can still be seen)...but until I can obtain information to corroborate this (proving a tad difficult)...I simple won't know...maybe never know...or will I?

Maybe I can still try dating the Olympic Patrol tyres ;) ...which still hold 20PSI :D

So open for any Ideas from 'bike-sleuths' with knowledge of Aussie 30's-40's Acmes, welcomed.

Cheers, And ta again :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version