Author Topic: bsa A7 1947 wheel problem.  (Read 21196 times)

Offline BSA_Newbie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: bsa A7 1947 wheel problem.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
Hi there, Probably should have done an introductary post somewhere, But I guess I'll get around to that some time soon!
I noticed this thread upon searching the net for 1947 and 1949 A7 info. Was quite alarmed when I saw these pics, as it was only yesterday that I put mine back together. (currently restoring a 49, but also piecing together a '47 that the old man is doing as well).

The '47 I have has interchangeable wheels, and I can tell you I have the original ones here pulled off the bike. I am not in the shed right now, but will take pics, and show dimensions tomorrow sometime.
 I do know that both the wheels ARE identical, and if you put a straight edge from the spline side of the hub, to the outer edge of the rim, this should be all straight. ( not too good at explaining this!).
Also, not sure if it is optical illusion, but the pictures appear that the fork are tapering in.. (wider at top), You realize the '47's have a wider triple tree set up? It appears you have the correct top one (can see the wider handle bar clamps), is the lower clamp the same width? It should be, otherwise the forks will taper in (Not parallel)

In regards to "Shimming" front wheel... I don't think that is possible. The front brake plate  should have a shoulder that goes into the fork tube (Primary side of bike), and then the other side should have a bush that goes into the fork leg, and spacing it correctly. What you have in the pic looks correct in that matter, but there is 2 different length bushes, one for interchangeable wheels, one for regular wheels.
AND I think the interchangeable wheel front axle is slightly different to the regular wheel axle...

Not here to poke at your work, just thought I would offer some knowledge! I will take some pics tomorrow, and also see if I can take pics of original parts list/manual that will back it up for you.

Cheers, Brett.

Offline BSA_Newbie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 08:38:16 AM »
ok, almost forgot about this, but took some really quick pics this arvo before locking up..

Here is the difference i was talking about in the triple trees..

And the alignment of front AND rear wheel...
This is a straight edge running from the spline side of the hub.

Mine is not in the bike now, So I can't take any pics of it all assembled, but I can assure you, I have had wheels in the bike and fenders on it to make sure of their alignment. I am in a lot earlier stage than you, as I am ony piecing all the parts together now, and making sure they all fit ;) I generally do that with most of the bike (mok it all together), and then once I know it all fits and works, I send everything off for paint/ powdercoat, chrome etc. etc.

Here is the '47 as it sits now, and you can just  see the '49 sitting behind it.

Hope this helps, Let me know if you have any questions, or need any measurements etc.
Brett.

Offline codfish

• Advanced Member
  • wannabe restorer
    • MSN Messenger - sincronicity@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 09:51:51 PM »
Hey Brett, thanks for answering my topic. After all the help from the other members I changed the "aligment" between the hub and rim  like you said with the ruller , worked well with the rear wheel but with front I had to add 8 mm more to make it centered with the forks and frame. Yes, I had  a lot of trouble finding the right yokes ( seems that only that year or so had the longer yoke(1 inch app.).I only found it in USA ebay ( believe it!!) after consulting every shop in UK I found In the Classic Bike guide magazine. I have a parts list for the 1947 year but some itens in Uk ebay donīt have part numbers listed.
Since you asked , I would like imensely if  you show some pictures of your filter box. In 4 years I never saw  one to sell, so Iīm planing to " build" one for my beeza.For now I just have bad drawings from my parts list.
I imagine it has the same form of the oil tank  by side but the rest I dont have any reference.
I took some pics after I changed the wheel ( changed the spokes but still from a honda with a litle bend).
As you will see I bought this bike in pieces and as a newbie I didnt notice the supension adaptation at the rear wheel. At some point the previous owner got tired buns and changed the rigid to a plunger using JAWA parts ( as a friend told me).
Andy I had the cover made , show you latter how it became.
Anyway  as you see in the pics I still have a lot of work to do and parts to find.
THank you all for your great help
By codfish25 at 2011-02-12

Offline BSA_Newbie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 10:20:52 AM »
Sorry Codfish, I have only just got back on here and read your  reply.
Ill take some pics tomorrow of the airbox, and try get some basic dimensions for it as well for you.
PS: Pretty sure you will find your front mounts for the rear fender are upside down... ;)

Offline codfish

• Advanced Member
  • wannabe restorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 09:07:31 PM »
HI Brett, Iīm late too to answer you. I managed to fix my weels but now Iīm fixing the gearbox. I will really apreciate if you send info about the filterbox. I have another one that I will post a photo to see if someone id it to which Bsa it belongs.
Many thanks
Antonio

Offline BSA_Newbie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 01:25:38 PM »
ok, Here's some quick pics I have just taken with my iPhone, Let me know if you would like the pictures in greater detail.
If I wast to make this, I would make the main mounting bracket first (you may be able to raid it of another air filter box/ battery mount?) and then go with the tin work to shope it the same shape as your oil tank, and then curves to fit around frame.

Offline BSA_Newbie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »
Here are two more pics I had of it, and finally, where my '47 (Red), and '49 (Black) are at now...

Offline codfish

• Advanced Member
  • wannabe restorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »
Hi Brett, excelent photos, I think I can manage to make a new one from it. Thanks a lot!
by the way, if itīs not too much trouble for you, can you show me the mount bracket for your stop switch?
You are bulding a red BSA? thatīs a new one for me, I canīt say much as I painted my tank with green... hehehe
good luck witrh your restorations. I will post a photo of my filterbox, problably from other BSA then mine. I may even trade it .
Antonio

Offline codfish

• Advanced Member
  • wannabe restorer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 10:31:53 PM »
Here goes my actual filterbox, diferent from you it seems. If anyone can id it I would apreciate it, and if anyone have a filterbox like brettīs I can exchange it with this one.

Offline BSA_Newbie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:07 PM »
Yours does appear very similar, but from what I can see, would not "Wrap" around the frame (At front). when mine is mounted, my oil tank, and air box meet at front... Will try take a pic of my black one which is mounted to show you (slightly different shape, but same idea)
Glad I could be of help :)