Author Topic: Triumph Stator / Rotor question  (Read 7299 times)

Offline Sludgetrap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Triumph Stator / Rotor question
« on: April 30, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
G,day from Oz,,,back again ,,,,was wondering if anyone could help me , one of my bikes , the  little T100c has the standard RM 21 stator and rotor,,,the other night the new  battery died on me. Checked all electrics and all is ok.
I,m wondering if the RM 23 single phase stator (2 wire) as used in some nortons will fit as an up grade, and if I buy a new stock rotor if its compatable with it , I think that running with the lights on day and night used more than the original could produce, I,m running a tri spark electronic ignition and rectifier, I,ve also upgraded the head light to a 60 watter, being the original setup and 40 odd years old it was probably down on output anyway,, dont want to go 3 phase as the rectifier is new and I checked with tri spark who told me the new rectifier was good for about 16 to 18 amps,, any help would be great,,cheers

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph Stator / Rotor question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »
I,m wondering if the RM 23 single phase stator (2 wire) as used in some nortons will fit as an up grade,

The RM23 stator should fit in place of an RM21.

and if I buy a new stock rotor if its compatable with it ,

The original rotor should work with the RM23 stator, however rotors do lose their magnetism over an extended period.   

the new rectifier was good for about 16 to 18 amps

When you say "the new rectifier", do you mean you have fitted a Tri-Spark regulator/rectifier box?

If not, and you still have a Zener diode with a separate rectifier, then you will probably need to wire in a second Zener with an RM23 as a single Zener could be overloaded at higher RPM-even with the lights on.
The RM23 charging system (as fitted to the late Commandos) used two Zeners and a half-wave rectifier, each Zener was connected to an AC output wire instead of connected on the DC side of the system as two Zeners operating independently on the AC side do not have to be a matched pair. 

Diagram of the late Commando RM23 (850 Mk3) charging circuit showing 2 diode half-wave rectifier and two Zeners:
L.A.B.

Offline Sludgetrap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
Thanks L.A.B
Yepp it has the Tri Spark rectifier/regulator fitted , Actually its the second setup I,ve bought from Tri Spark cant speak more highly of them,, cheers and thanks, I,II order a new rotor and stator tonight ,,,

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:34:43 PM »
Can you send me your old setup, i need them for my next project. There won't be anything wrong with it except maybe a broken wire from the stator. Check for other things first.

Offline Sludgetrap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 01:19:48 AM »
rogerwilko,,,,your more than welcome to the old parts but I,m thinking you may have misunderstood slightly.
When I mentioned that I had bought a second setup from Tri Spark I was meaning for another bike , I have no interest in Tri Spark at all other than there based here in my home state, although I would recommend there gear to anyone as it works.
The parts that have /or are failing are the originals 40 plus years old , the rotor cant hold its own weight attached to a spanner on 2 sides and the stator is looking a bit bubbled and warped. although it still checks out with a multi meter , it also has a few scrape marks where over the years it has rubbed against the stator when owned by the previous owner.
I brought this bike back from the states as it was a special import, it actually left the factory with twin carbs and a high range box in it , the front drive sproket isnt like the usual with a spacer behind it but is an extra tooth sproket which has a boss forged on one side in place of the spacer,hence the different stator setup, Its a T100C, has the competition pipes but a few stock differences, according to Justin Harvey James (TOMCC Register) was built on April the 27th April 1970 and landed in Los Angeles on the 30th April, my little bit of Triumph history. I have the original order form and customer receipt from Los Angeles when it was bought and one thing that is a bit odd is that it was ordered with tank knee rubbers but no motor protector plate,apparently when the factory ran out of knee rubbers  they would ship the bikes without them,,,cheers

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »
was built on April the 27th April 1970 and landed in Los Angeles on the 30th April,

I thought Triumphs always went by sea for cheapness....three days after building must mean it went by air freight?

,apparently when the factory ran out of knee rubbers  they would ship the bikes without them

Get used to that with Triumphs. Production was never halted for the want of a catalogue part. Something else was substituted or the part omitted altogether.

Offline Sludgetrap

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »
Rex ,,  Your right on the ball,, my mistake,,, was built on the 27th of April 1970, dispatched from England on the 30th of April 1970,,arrived some 5 weeks later at the Triumph Corporation, Los Angele's.