Author Topic: Best & Lloyd oil pump  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Dirt_Track

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Best & Lloyd oil pump
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:54:13 AM »
G'day all
I have a best & Lloyd oil pump that is NOS......I have seen about 10 of these pumps all NOS never used.
What did they fit?
Howard.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Best & Lloyd oil pump
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:07:13 AM »
Hi Howard,

I bought one of these, following an advert in the Vintage Motor Cycle Club of Victoria (Australia) magazine in the early 1980s. From memory, the place was out on Sydney Rd, Melbourne (maybe around Coburg), and there was a VERY large box of them! Sorry this doesn't help much with the question; perhaps they were for some kind of industrial application? That said, a press down spring-loaded plunger is a pretty labour-intensive device compared with a gravity feed. Because the fitting on the bottom is larger than the hole in the top mounting plate, a question arises about how the thing is assembled into the oil tank.

Leon

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »
This looks very much like the setup for a circa 1924 BSA. ?
That ittle clip too.

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 11:57:11 AM »
Howard,

Ever Onward has one very similar to that, albeit with a different pick-up arrangement on the barrel.  It is reputed ex-BSA, model not specified, and has a sight-bowl.  A similar thing is illustrated in Radco's book.

cheers,
JFerg

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
The Ever Onward was put together in the same town, at about the same time, that I bought my pump. Perhaps not so surprising if it uses one. Don't forget that this pump is similar is most ways to the "usual" motorcycle Best and Lloyd, but differnet in detail - notably the fitting at the bottom of the pump barrel. The "usual" B&L uses the clip, for example. I can't recall seeing one of this style of pump originally fitted to a production motorcycle, and I don't understand way there was a box with a large number of them NOS c1980. Strange.

Leon

Offline anjimehra

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »
G'day all
I have a best & Lloyd oil pump that is NOS......I have seen about 10 of these pumps all NOS never used.
What did they fit?
Howard.
Hi Howard
Do you still have this pump?
Anji

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 10:45:03 AM »
I also bought one of them in the '80's at the Bendigo Swap. I can vaguely remember such items fitted to archaic stationary engine stuff during my apprenticeship days but of course took little notice then.

The bottom fitting prevents them from being tank mounted in the usual fashion and the ones I saw were bracket mounted with an oil pipe to the bottom of the barrel. Mine briskly got snaffled by a mate with a two stroke Levis. The internals of the Levis pump had received rather a battering over it's life and except for shortening the plunger everything was a straight swap.

There were so many around at the time I just assumed I could get another whenever I wanted but of course it never happened.

Cheers,