Author Topic: Moto Guzzi V50  (Read 5411 times)

Offline kbass

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Moto Guzzi V50
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:17:16 PM »
I just cleaned the carbs and put new tires on MG V50. Started right up. I shift into 1st gear and I can barely get going and it's not happy until I'm about 25 MPH. It feels more like I'm starting in 2nd or even 3rd gear. I was told the bike is 1st gear up and the next 4 are down. Any ideas?

Offline Matt

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Moto Guzzi V50
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:39 AM »
Sorry if its a stupid question but you post isnt clear but you did get out of first and did you try the gears the other way round as well? You know just in case cos it would have taken a lot less time than coming inside and firing up a PC.

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:59:19 AM »
KBass, I think you have the gear sequence awry.
Left foot change.
From neutral, down to first then up for the others.
V50s are a brilliant package.  An electronic ignition is a good investment, because the points are mongrels to get at and will not stay where they should for 5,000km between services.

cheers,
JFerg

Offline kbass

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »
Thanks, I'll try that.

Offline kbass

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:18:34 AM »
You guys were right, it's 1st gear down and the rest up. I have to laugh at myself but if I ask a question that sounds obvious to someone else but not to me and then you give me the answer I need then I just got to smile because now the bike runs great and I don't have to figure out what's wrong with my gears. I do so appreciate these forums. By the way I'm new to all this motorcycle stuff and I'm finding out it's a blast. This bike has some get up and go. Thanks again!