Author Topic: triumph t100 oil coming out breather tube  (Read 18644 times)

Offline kbass

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: triumph t100 oil coming out breather tube
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 03:27:21 AM »
Thanks for all the input. It helped me calm down. I started it up today and it dumped another half cup of oil and that was all. It warmed up and ran fine. I do have another question. My speedometer reads 60mph when I'm only going 40mph. Is there a gear change that I could make where the cable is connected? In fact what does drive the speedometer cable?

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 08:13:33 AM »
The speedo drive on the rear wheel, but if it's "working" the speedo, it's likely OK. Sounds  like the speedo head is incorrect or more likely it needs attention.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 09:04:29 AM »
My speedometer reads 60mph when I'm only going 40mph. Is there a gear change that I could make where the cable is connected? In fact what does drive the speedometer cable?

The speedo cable should go back to a small 'Smiths' box driven off the rear wheel?
The speedo drive boxes were available in a number of different ratios-so there's a chance your box drive ratio may not match the speedo if the reading is off, or it could be the that the speedo needs an overhaul as they often read fast when they are worn?

Look closely at the bottom of the speedo dial for some small numbers?
For a 1970 T100 MPH speedo those numbers should be SSM5007/02 and probably 1600?
If so, then the matching drive box should be a Smiths BG5330/287 2:1 ratio unit (2 cable turns to 1 turn of the rear wheel) You would need to remove the drive unit to find the number and ratio which is stamped on the back, however the ratio can be checked simply by disconnecting the cable from the speedo and carefully counting exactly how many cable turns there are in one turn of the rear wheel?   

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 09:07:47 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

wetdog

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 09:29:44 PM »
(with thier double-plunger oil pumps) like my Ariel then , and wet sumped like a bas,,ard , unfortunatly i changed everything at once on the rebuild so am unable to say exactly what the problem was which is anoying as id like to know myself