Author Topic: 350 Enfield info please  (Read 18981 times)

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 350 Enfield info please
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 08:16:48 PM »
And if you want a charging system. You'll have to find a magdyno.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 02:08:00 AM »
For daytime rides only, a battery will last a long time only doing rear brake light and a few horn beeps.

So no magdyno required.  Unless you plan to ride a lot, or far, at night.

Offline netbikes

• Advanced Member
  • It's too late when your in the ground
    • View Profile
    • netbikes Classic Motorcycles
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 08:41:44 AM »
the bike will stay battery total loss,  when I have restored it, well tidied it up somewhat I may take it on a long trip or two but there will be no riding at night, perhaps just a hard wired park and tail light.

I would like to find the grey colour the frames were painted, does anyone know of a modern match?
Other parts I will be sourcing are original headlight and brackets or a close match, the single spring seat and the upswept muffler with the curved tail piece.

Leads appreciated.
cheers... chris dupen
www.netbikes.com.au
Classic Bikes Australia

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 01:03:48 AM »
Hitchcocks in the UK are the source of all things old Royal Enfield - mostly new stock though, andf the postage is a bit savage. There are other UK suppliers, on ebay too if you watch and are not in a hurry.
Lotta new stuff coming out of India too, some will suit older Enfields and the prices are lowish, but climbing. Only a few of the suppliers are good quality though. Someone in Newcastle NSW has older Bullet stuff, changed hands a few times, should be easy enough to track down.

For the paint match, you need to find someone with an Enfield for a paint sample. The paint colour is polychromatic silvergrey. 
Scan from the brochure, for 1955.
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/pictures/partsbooks/1955_350CC_BULLET.jpg
While some use metallic paint to match this, poly paints are actually pre-metallic paint era. The paint has extremely fine aluminium powder in it, not metal flakes, and has a silver sheen to it that metalflake doesn't.  Modern "pearl' paint is similar in character, if you can find the right shade (VW or Audi ?).

You probably need to figure out the year of your bike too, since the features change with the year. That curved muffler only covered a few years, is that your bike ?

Hopethishelps, Havefun.

Offline netbikes

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 01:33:28 AM »
thanks R, on the colour, I am happy with something close, I am not trying to hard to replica a factory finish, I think factory restorations were invented by the poms to get them through their 11 month winters  ;D, I really just needed to know the shade, going by the pic you posted it looks medium grey and I can work with that although if I find a small part in the original colour that will make it easier.

On the upswept pipe, again if it for my model or not is not a concern, I just like to look. I see they use that pipe or very similar on a modern version so at least that should be easy to get.

cheers... chris dupen
www.netbikes.com.au
Classic Bikes Australia

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 12:27:06 AM »
Sounds good. Post a pic when you are done, I'm sure we'd like to see it come back to life.  Somehow seems appropriate to source parts from a "Classic' model to restore an original....

Offline netbikes

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »
yes going to the local Enfield dealer today to sus parts, although I have been told he has a bsa rocket 3 for sale at quite a resaonable price so I may be tempted t trade The En:-)
cheers... chris dupen
www.netbikes.com.au
Classic Bikes Australia

Offline Welsh Wizard

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »
Best of luck with the R3

Offline netbikes

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 04:21:07 PM »
Best of luck with the R3

funny you should say that at this time, I am also working on another R3, but I bet it is not what your thinking:-)
http://auction.netbikes.com.au/vjmw.php?dir=yr3&page=yr3

The other R3 I am yet to view it as the shop owner in os at the mo and the guy looking after the shop cannot deal with offers, only the set price.
cheers... chris dupen
www.netbikes.com.au
Classic Bikes Australia