Author Topic: 1974 MZ TS 150 456 original miles seized engine rebuild  (Read 9325 times)

Offline ghostinthemist

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
1974 MZ TS 150 456 original miles seized engine rebuild
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:06:06 AM »
Bought this beauty for $400 original everything even the tires!!! With a bill of sale and a seized engine and 456 miles on the bike, we dropped a new piston in her, now i want to break it in right and I cant get an idea of how to cause the manual i have for it says "follow usual break'in methods"  Common sense tells me that the pistons need to be set quickly and evenly to stop blow back and build up on piston as well as the walls.  The MZ 150 uses mixed gas to lubricate the engine.  The crank and clutch have a oil reservoir all to its own.  So should i mix the gas slightly light to allow less burn buildup or should i run it regular or run her hard i have pictures!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 02:14:18 AM by ghostinthemist »

Offline yosemite

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1974 MZ TS 150 456 original miles seized engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 09:51:55 PM »
       usually with a 2 stroke the oil pump/ fuel oil mixture ratio should be slightly higher during run in period
treat the engine gently for around about 4-500 miles then gradually start to use harder until around 1500 miles when it should be run in I know that it will be hard to do but if you dont then youll probably be putting in another piston
         You will find that the oil in the fuel mixture will lube not only the piston but the big end, small end and the fly wheel main bearing
         in the uk mzs are one of those bikes that people either seem to love or hate and those that use them seem to be almost fanatical about them  Personally I was never a big fan
        good luck and enjoy
        Yosemite

Offline glaser 31

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »
I think it looks great,keep it like this and use it.I think you can get many fine trips  on it.
you need a new seat cover,if you dont have one send me a pm
Glaser  :)

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 08:37:00 AM »
MZ 150s? Not so long back you couldn't give them away.... ;)
Best of luck with it, but I was never impressed with MZ build quality.

Offline vanners

• Advanced Member
  • To old to retire young
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:16:46 PM »
I have just joined the forum as I've started on a rebuild of an 83 MZ ts 150. Paid £80 for with paperwork.
I must say yours looks to be a a stunning example.
Be suspicious of the tyres the originals tended to be a very hard wearing compound more akin to plastic than rubber, lethal in the wet.
As for build quality they are fine, mine had stood rusting in an open barn for years yet all the nuts and bolts came off with a spanner without rounding off or stripping. The paint and chrome on the otherhand are definately not the best. The aluminium casting are all good, the frame is salvagable, the tin wear is shot. The motor appears to be fine; it was ridden into the barn and abandoned. It has 13000 miles on it and the motor has'nt been messed with.
At present it is in pieces and a slow renovation is taking place. One day it may look as good as yours :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 11:51:54 PM by vanners »
If only I new then what I know now - I'd have a garage full of classic bikes :(

wetdog

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:38:39 PM »
mz built a very good underated machine , not to be mixed up with CZ very poor in later years

Offline ghostinthemist

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 03:24:20 AM »
Hello everyone.  Its too cold now to ride but been doing a bit of work on the old gal.  Sorry guys but I did the hard run in and......in 4th after a couple times of going through the drills she went about 45 tops for about 10 seconds let out a back fire and took off on me hitting 65 almost 70.  I stopped the bike made sure it hadn't overheated and proceeded to cool down and the started her back up and WOW! Sounded great.  Ran great