Author Topic: TDC 1911 500 MOTORCYCLE  (Read 5048 times)

Offline rayday

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
TDC 1911 500 MOTORCYCLE
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:47:47 PM »
HI ALL COULD ANYONE TELL ME THE DOLLAR VALVE OF THIS MOTORCYCLE THE BIKE IS RESTORED  THANKS RAY

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: TDC 1911 500 MOTORCYCLE
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »
Be a brave man/woman that would put a value to something totally sight unseen.
And without hearing/seeing it run....
Are you thinking of buying or selling.

Offline rayday

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:11:49 AM »
hi r ihave attached a photo iam thinking of buying thanks ray

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »
T D Cross are still going today though they don't make bikes anymore. I've only ever seen one (last New Year's Day) and the rider said the firm itself didn't have any examples, but should he ever sell....

No idea what you should pay for it though; things "here" aren't worth the same as things "there". All supply and demand, as ever.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
Hi Ray,

I wonder how this bike was described to you? Is it meant to be a "restored original bike"? From what I can see I in the photo, I'd say this is likely a "parts special".

What makes you say it is a TDC? Is the crankcase marked TDC?

To my eye, the cylinder, seat, carby, head stem, magneto, mudguards, tank, rear stand, chain wheel, head light, exhaust system ... all seem to be "unusual" for a 1911 motorcycle. In Australia I've seen may TDC motors, but I've never seen one with a cylinder that looks like this one. To me it looks like it's from a 3 3/4 h.p. Precision of about 1914. (TDC motors were so similar to Precision that many oparts will interchange.)

By the way, I once read a comment from a relative/employee (I forget which) that TDC never made complete motorcycles. In Australia, however, locally assembled bikes were often given the name of their motor - JAP, Precision, and possibly TDC.

Value? Some people don't seem to care whether the bike they ride looks anything like a bike made in the day - if you're one of these people, pay what you wish. If you're looking for a proper veteran, perhaps you could do better elsewhere. If you intend to buy, I suggest you get the seller's description of the bike and its "history" in writing - you may want it later.

Leon
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:49:17 AM by cardan »

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:05:57 AM »

Also the rear carrier is not originally off this (look at the "upright" stays), and the rear brake shoe pivot looks home made. You may also which to ask why the bike runs hot enough to burn the paint off the cylinder.

Leon

Offline rayday

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 11:45:19 AM »
thanks for your input leon i will tread carefully ray.