Author Topic: BMW K 100  (Read 4377 times)

Offline patrickT

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
BMW K 100
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:37:05 AM »
Hey!
I am looking to get a somewhat classic tourer motorbike, and I am wondering if anyone has any information, or advice about this BMW K 100 tourer bike? Its from 1990, 1000cc, and a mileage of 68000. I love how it looks! Is it worth getting it for 4,500E ?
Or maybe there are other classic tourer motorcycles that you could recommend, and would fit about 5,000E budget?

wetdog

Re: BMW K 100
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
these bikes are bullet prof and this milage is nothing dont be put off if it blows a bit of smoke when left on its side stand , one thing i would say is they are cheap and a well maintained one with full lugage and 67000 miles £1800 at the very most so look on UK ebay

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:09:48 PM »
The bikes were technically advanced for their time, ecu, air mass meters, Hall effect sensor ignition, but you have to watch certain things, the 4 cylinder models can have ignition coil problems, spare parts  can be a problem, but Motobins is usually a good bet, or ebay, the reason they do not fetch good prices is because of the technology & the fact that second-hand parts such as above can be expensive too.
There is no kick-start a retrograde step in my humble opinion and if the starter relay points stick, if the charge in the battery gets low the engine will constantly turn over and flattened the battery to dead.

But the worst thing about the "K" series is the thickness of the wires in the wiring loom, otherwise you get a smooth capable adequately powered sports tourer with not bad miles to the gallon, that handle better @ speed than when ridden slow and they are quite weighty, some would say top-heavy, there are 8 valve and 16 valve variants but The Flying Brick website is good for background information. There are 3 cylinder K75's also, some say a sweeter option that the 4, but of course you get less power, 75bhp claimed!

Cheers

John

JBW

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:26:55 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I recently sold one of these.  A friend had it parked in the west end of London so had to get rid of it befor the tax ran out.  He gave it to me for nothing but it was a bit of a dog.  I found it parked outside a pub in Mayfair so loaded it into the van and took it home.  It smoked a bit when I fired it up but seemed OK.  When I drained the oil there was a lot of it.  A washing up bowl full, but not all oil.  Mostly urine.  The oil filler hole was an amusing target for the pub customers for a long time. 

I filled it up with fresh oil and put in a new filter and it started up good as gold.  A short run stopped the smoke and it ran perfectly.  I think I got £600.00 for it and the new owner was very happy, even after I told him the history.  He later told me the fuel tank split at a seam in a heavy frost.  The bottom was filled with ice and pushed the joint apart. 

If anyone's interested I have a faring for the 4 valve K100.