Author Topic: ariel sq four POB 568  (Read 12865 times)

yebbut

Re: ariel sq four POB 568
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 05:46:30 PM »
Sounds criminal to me.

I once worked in a shop that took a Sq4 chopper in part ex, and managed to sell it again; it had ludicrously overlength forks, like 6ft over....

I delivered it to a block of flats in south east london;  :-[ that would be 1972/4ish.
I wonder if its the same one, surely two people couldn't be that deranged? :o

wetdog

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
front end is standard infact most of the bike is apart from rear guard , i dont really care for the look of these sq4 ariels much ( have a few singles which i do like ) , so if anyone wants to do a deal with a Triumph 650 / 750 unit any year let me know ( soon as may just ebay ) i may be interested thanks this sq4 is a very easy project
just got back from Levis cup trial good turn out of some very interesting bikes , nice to see its still going and well worth a vistit next year

wetdog

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 11:07:53 AM »

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 12:52:33 PM »
Looks OK apart from the God-awful guard and sissy bar thing.
What was he thinking....(or should that be "drinking"?)

yebbut

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 04:24:50 PM »
thankfully not beyond help, I'd swap it, if I had someting to swap for it.
Square fours are a lovely bike.

wetdog

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »
maybe i might like it when i here it run , but looks wise is taking some getting used to , the barrels are a work of art and must have been a nightmare to cast , for me its unusual to work on a british head with such small valves , rockers etc but all very nice and polished , not so keen on the solex carb either would prefere a SU ( this frame takes the SU but not sure about the head ) anyone know if i can change to the SU useing this head

Offline Bomber

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 10:39:57 PM »
I think it's lovely, I have lots of bikes, sadly no 650 unit Trumpet and would love to own it.
If iver tha does owt for nowt alus duit for thissen

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 01:27:28 PM »
Funny that, everything you read about the Square Four, rabbits on about the rear two cylinders over-heating and yet the pistons look absolutely fine on yours no score marks or anything, you can get or change your Solex to a Performance Solex, by re-jetting &/ or by changing the choke size 19, 22 & 24mm being available  and  the best people to have a word with is possibly the Square 4 people or the Imp Club, changing to a SU or any other could be a question of space... although there ia a picturte of a different carb on a racing Square 4 side-car outfit! by Stan Nightingale.
Tuning Solex carburetters for performance / by R.C. Pack and Charles Wheeler. - Brentford (51 York Rd, Brentford, Middx) : SpeedSport Motobooks, 1974. - [1],127p. : ill. ; 22cm.
ISBN: 0851130690 (Pbk)

British Solex carburetters. - [Brentford] : [Speedsport Motobooks], [1976]. - 218p. : ill., port. ; 21cm.
ISBN: 0903192705 (Pbk)
http://www.imps4ever.info/tech/carbs.html
Solex carb's are not as poor as people are led to believe & can give good economy, A performance Solex, according to literature available,  was a match for other more exotic  carb' set ups.
If you have a copy of Great British Bikes from the 50s, there's a road-test,  the limiting factor for the Square 4, apart from over-heating from the rear two cylinders a myth?, was its weight, rigid & plunger suspension limitations, the Cruciform induction tract, according to Legend most Square 4s were bought by overseas fans & then a lot were snapped up & exported to the States in the 60s and 70s, I should think they are a tad rarer than a unit Triumph, but each to their own!
Also you could fit maybe, the four pipe head, power outputs varied from model to model and are somewhere in the region from twin pipe 34.5bhp 4G model of 1951, price £260/7s  997cc (65x75mm),  dry sump, weight 412lbs,  wheelbase 56", Gear ratios, 12:1, 7:7, 5:7, 4:5,  to  low-mid 40s bhp, last attempt 1953, produced up to I think 1958, but all models could if coaxed exceed just about 100mph, if it got there rather more  sedately than a Triumph twin!
Surely, this was one of the first super-bikes, described in 1951 as pulling 8 mph in top gear and as having vivid acceleration, Bob Currie i would imagine took some shifting, not being known for his light-weight!
1949 Ariel Square 4 shed 100lb from its predecessors!
4 pipe mark 2 came into being in 1953!

Cheers

John

JBW

wetdog

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 04:32:58 PM »
thanks , pistons are new low comp , i have also been told rear heating was a myth but i will find out soon , ariel fitted as standard to some sq 4s a SU but this engine has the solex ( also standard for this year ) i will see how it goes . i may enjoy it yet and will give it a run to the dragon rally in Feb , if it over heats there ill be surprised