Author Topic: hi im new to the forum  (Read 15668 times)

Offline JAP

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: hi im new to the forum
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »
I wouldn't worry about welding or damping etc, because this bike will never be registered. It's obviously a showpiece for his lounge.

why would it not be registered, what are the rules ???? if i get it welded by a professional i cant see why not.

Online R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 10:02:03 PM »
I've seen them fitted and working.......where ? my understanding of this type of unit is that it works in both directions and would only make the forks ridigid ,

Suggest you have a look at some of the little steering dampers around then - far from being 'rigid' they have gentle damping, in both directions like you say, adjustable stronger or weaker. Fitted to the girder fork action, they provide a modicum of hydraulic damping, adjustable with a click.
If they'd been available in the 1920s, would have sold gaziilions...

wetdog

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »
they are adjustable but resist sharp fast movment , please show me the application you have seen i am very interested

have this sent via a dealer it explains what i can not
Steering dampers can be found on many modern sportbikes and all race bikes, . A steering damper provides a resistive force against the direction of movement, giving  controlled compression and rebound. Dampers are velocity dependent so the faster the spring moves (like when you hit a bump), the more resistance the damper provides

i read that as not suited to girder fork application as they are always hitting bumps and the steering dampner would try and control the spring movment on compresion which is useless , what do you think
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 11:46:56 AM by wetdog »

Online R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 07:49:45 AM »
Can't show a pic don't have one. They arrived fitted to forks at a rally, so despite  doubts they work, haven't tried them to verify. Fitted vertically, bolted one end to yokes and other end to fork blades - ie one end to the moving bit and t'other to the solid fixed bit.

P.S. Modern forks have both compression and rebound damping, usually adjustable separately. Even friction dampers have a measure of compression damping....

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »
I'm confused; Wetdog's talking about a steering damper, while R's talking about a suspension damper apparently fitted to girder forks. Nothing new about these as Indians had them on the 1946 models onwards.
Then again, if the subject is hydraulic steering dampers, then there's no reason why one of those little telescopic after-market dampers couldn't be used on girders either.

Online R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2012, 10:03:33 AM »
then there's no reason why one of those little telescopic after-market dampers couldn't be used on girders either.

That is precisely what we are talking about.
Apparently quite effective...

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2012, 02:36:41 PM »
Fitted vertically, bolted one end to yokes and other end to fork blades - ie one end to the moving bit and t'other to the solid fixed bit.

This is the confusing bit as it describes a suspension damper.
If it was the little telescopic steering damper, it would be horizontal and fixed to the girders at one end and the frame the other.

wetdog

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »
sorry rex now im confused R is talking about a steering dampner
 "A simple hydraulic steering damper adapted to the girder fork" quote
a suspention dampner is a differant thing and i agree these can be used , and i have also seen springer fork set ups now being made with complette skok absurbers fitted

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
Then he must be confused too! A steering damper can't go from the yokes to the blades as it all moves together as the wheel is "steered".
Even the original girder steering friction damper connected the lower yoke to the bike's frame via a couple of friction discs.

Offline esometisse

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2012, 06:11:54 PM »
by now the Original Poster must be thoroughly confused, too...
so please R, Rex, wetdog, back to the topic and try to answer OP's latest question:
why would it not be registered, what are the rules ???? if i get it welded by a professional i cant see why not.
I myself cannot suggest anything here because I am as unfamiliar as OP with the registration rules for self-constructed vehicles in England

Cheers
Andy

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »
It's not a case of how good the welding is, more a case of the pain in the ar*e that going through the reg process can be.
Back in the days of crappy choppers they used to use the V5 from a moped or whatever, and end up with a 650 BSA engined effort registered as a Honda 50, but thankfully the DVLA are wise to that.
The OP will need to go on the DVLA website where the long-winded process is explained. Maybe that's why someone suggested this will end up as an ornament..... ;)

Offline JAP

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
cheers lads a answer at last ;D

wetdog

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:58 PM »
rex read the post from page one not 2 and all will become clear i hope

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 11:47:37 PM »
The angle and length difference of the top and bottom fork links is very important and should be matched to the steering head rake.  As the suspension moves the front wheel trail angle must be controlled.  Any error in the design could effect handling a lot, speed wabble (tank slappers) is no fun.  Good luck with it and I hope it works out.