Author Topic: Matchless G3 1938 Basic data  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Ronb

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Matchless G3 1938 Basic data
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:52:34 PM »
About to start tidying up Matchless G3  (1938) but before I do thought I would see if I could get it to start. It sparks at plug and I have cleaned out Carb
Can anybody confirm:
- Ignition timing Before TDC  in degrees,  inches / milimetres (retarded or advanced)
- Is the magneto advance slack or tight on lever
- Tappet gap inlet / exhaust (presumably at TDC on firing stroke) measured where?
- Correct Spark plug ?

Anybody got any photos of a restored 1938 (or any 30's) G3 they can share.

Thanks

ron   
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:47:13 PM by Ronb »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Matchless G3 1932 Basic data
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »
Hi Ron,
Can we first clarify what model Matchless you have, cos Matchless didn't make a G3 in 1932. There is the D3 350ohv which has a sloper engine and also a slightly different D6 variant.
How about you put up a photo of what you have and tell us the engine and frame numbers and we try to identify it exactly before we start.
Very happy to help but we'll all be going round in circles if we don't accurately identify your bike first.
Cheers,

Offline Ronb

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Matchless G3 1938 Basic data
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:54:48 PM »
Hi .....And sorry for confusion

Got my dates wrong the G3 is 1938 not 1932 ...... not sure what I was thinking when I typed the original post!!
I have now edited my original query to suit.
Will post some photos at weekend when I can take them in daylight and if it stops raining.   

Regards

Ronb

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 12:59:59 AM »
You had me all excited there for a minute Ron. If you read my previous post and look at my call sign you'll see why I get all girlie about early 30's 350 Matchless.
Anyway, back to your bike. The info you want is as follows
Tappet Clearance (Cold) Nil. pushrods should just be sufficiently free to rotate.
Ignition advance: Points break 7/16" before TDC on full advance.
Spark Plug: Original recommendation was a Lodge H14 or KLG F70 so a modern NGK B6HS will do nicely.

Whether your magneto advance is slack or tight on the lever depends entirely on what magneto it now has fitted after 75 odd years on the road. I can only give you official factory information as it was made. Who knows what has been done to it since. Take the points cover off and see what happens when you move the lever. 

If you want a little more information on the engine the old weekly 'MotorCycling' used to publish a brief Service Series on various bikes and they did one on the 1937-1939 G3 Matchless. Its full details are Service Series No 12, published on pages 224 and 225 in their issue for June 25, 1953. You can either buy the magazine from people who sell old mags at swap meets or get a photocopy from Mortons or the VMCC Library. 
Cheers,

Offline Ronb

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
Wonderful..... 33d6....... I now understand the relevance of your call sign.
As you might gather I am a bit of a Matchless virgin, though I dont know why I waited so long........ 

By my calculation the timing on full retard must be fairly close to TDC !!

The magneto is a Lucas N1 with a clockwise rotation (from the points end) which I think means tight to advance?

Could I trouble you for one other piece of Matchless info........where is the frame number located?

Thanks again

Ronb

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 11:52:19 PM »
Post war was on the seat post offside upstairs on the lug.

Offline rosko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »
I am a bit of a Matchless virgin, though I dont know why I waited so long........

as long as you weren't shafted when you bought the bike eh?:o