Author Topic: Norton slimline dimensions  (Read 5751 times)

johnnyboy-wonder57

Norton slimline dimensions
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:46:12 PM »
Hi,
Some guy on the net made his own Feather-bed frame, anyone know if these dimensions are accurate? Picture with red writing on it.
He advises an alteration to one of the measurements to fit a standard Manx petrol tank without it undergoing alterations & the degree of accuracy tolerances of his measurements is stated as 1/8 of an inch.

The actual picture is the frame he made.  I know the Manx frame varied from the road-going machines, how accurate was the manufacture by Reynolds?  Do old frames age well, under normal circumstances? An article about Dresda services, states they are always straightening the old featherbeds out and few do not have some sort of idiosyncrasy.

The side view picture is (supposedly), an official Norton one!

Cheers

JBW

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Norton slimline dimensions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »
Frame diagram(s) don't show brace plates under steering head which all road bikes had.
There was a lot of discussion recently about whether slimlines had 24 degree steering angle, or whether ALL featherbeds had 26 degree steering angle.... ???

Fitting a wideline tank to a modified slimline frame is not going to give you the reduced width in the knee area that was the reason for going slimline ??

When you count them all up, there were about 20 versions of featherbeds, so who knows "how accurate the manufacture by Reynolds" was. ? You certainly hear stories of them having a hard life.  With all the replicas these days, must be awash with versions, take your pick...

johnnyboy-wonder57

Re: Norton slimline dimensions
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »
OK,
I will revisit the information, I think it was a length measurement rather than a width. It was an American fabricator & sometimes information gets slightly mixed up.  I would want a slimline set-up & would have to have a petrol tank to suit  in the Manx style but obviously narrowed down near the seat junction, where the reduced width in the middle of the frame occurs.

Probably someone somewhere can fabricate a tank to fit, if this option is needed.

Reynolds have started to either manufacture or allow others by decree, to manufacture motorcycle frames in a more technologically advanced alloys, the  replacement for 531frames are in 651, 853 & 953 variants, just been reading this http://reynoldstechnology.biz/our_customers_motorcyclists.php. The advantages of a new frame are obvious, if well constructed, the disadvantage is the registration process & the hassle that goes with it, getting it on the road!

Cheers

JBW