Author Topic: Valve seats T140  (Read 3911 times)

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Valve seats T140
« on: June 05, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Hello,After riding and restoring Honda's for 36 years i have purchashed a bike that was made just sixty miles from where i was born,a Triumph T140 1979/80 model,my question is this,most of the gas i use in England is 95 octane and i was wondering if i need to use an octane booster and valve seat protector also what grade of engine oil is best and how often should it be changed?i look forward to hearing from wise souls ,any other information about this bike would be most welcome.cheers Paul Mather.

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
Re: Valve seats T140
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:49:47 PM »
Hi Paul welcome to vintage bikes. These are possibly the most talked about subjects. When leaded fuel ended everyone thought it would be necessary to fit harded valves seats or use lead additive.Now most people don't bother as it doesn't seem to cause trouble, the thoughts at the moment are for fuel companies adding ethanol which may cause problems. it's the same with oil some use straight sae 30 or 40 others prefer multigrade. I don't think it makes much difference, the main this being to change it frequently.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
 :)OK THANKS FOR THAT,IF ANYONE HAS ANY THOUGHTS ON MAINTAINANCE OF THE T140 'BONNIE' I WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL.CHEERS PAUL.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:22:16 PM »
Yes. After 36 years with Hondas you'll find the Triumph's maintenance regime onerous but essential. As long as you like to "wrench" as much as you "ride" (as the Yanks say) you'll be fine.

Offline slyvestor2

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »
It looks like i will have to get back into the habit!